PDA

View Full Version : Home Use License

sfaust
2007-04-25, 06:31 PM
I was just pointed to the "home use license" section of the subscription center. At first glance it seems to suggest that you can have a copy at work and a copy at home on a single license. However I read the agreement and if I understand it right, it says you can have a standalone license at either your work OR your home...

I get confused by legal mumbo jumbo, so am I missing something here? It seems to be saying that when you purchase a seat of the software, they won't dictate which computer you have to install it on (gee thanks). Can anyone confirm, or can you really have a copy at home and a copy at work?

patricks
2007-04-25, 06:34 PM
Each seat we have allows for 2 installations. I have it installed on both my work and home computer, because I have a VPN connection to the office and work from home sometimes at night and on weekends.

abarrette
2007-04-25, 07:51 PM
sfaust,

You really can have an install at both your home and work. I think the terminology you are referring to is talking about *using* them at either work or home... not both places at the same time. The only difference from the way they did this pre-2004 release and now is that they have a way to track if a serial number has been installed offsite and limit the number of times that can happen.

HTH

sfaust
2007-04-25, 10:28 PM
ok, that's good to hear. thanks

tc3dcad60731
2007-04-26, 12:12 AM
You can install a stand alone version on your work and home pc BUT you must authorize it. Now for network installs I think you get a seperate cd or something that pertains to just you and it is for 12 months only at which time you have "renew" your request.

That is my understanding anyway. So go to it but be legal!

kpaxton
2007-04-26, 01:13 AM
Yes, this was indeed confirmed by Autodesk at our recent "Experience the Possibilities Tour" in Orlando.

ws
2007-04-26, 01:39 PM
Umm, am I just understanding the terminology wrong or is this different to the way my standalone licence works?

I have to use the portable licence utility to export my licence to my laptop (for example) and back again - so only one install allowed effectively?

kpaxton
2007-04-26, 02:16 PM
Umm, am I just understanding the terminology wrong or is this different to the way my standalone licence works? I have to use the portable licence utility to export my licence to my laptop (for example) and back again - so only one install allowed effectively?Yes and no. The Portable Licence Utility was made just for the very purpose you describe - put the License file on the Laptop, go to your meeting, show your clients, then return the license when you get back to the office.

I won't speak for them, but I believe they've taken a long look at this and instituted this program to ease some of the pain of this transfer process. In a way, it kind of makes sense. You have to abide by their agreement. Also to clarify - this is available only to those on Subscription.

I've enclosed the FAQ from the Autodesk Website.

ws
2007-04-26, 02:43 PM
thanks Kyle,

Hmm, and what if your home and work is the same location, like me ? ;)

I guess it should still work - I have a subscription (didn't we used to call this sort of thing 'maintenance'?)

tc3dcad60731
2007-04-26, 02:54 PM
thanks Kyle,

Hmm, and what if your home and work is the same location, like me ? ;)

I guess it should still work - I have a subscription (didn't we used to call this sort of thing 'maintenance'?)

Same here ..... so it should work for you. As long as you are on subscription and do not use for other nefarious purposes that are outside of the doc that Kyle posted, you should be fine!

ws
2007-04-26, 09:17 PM
Yippeee... it works :)

thanks all.

j_starko
2008-01-02, 11:20 PM
Does anyone know off hand of any first hand experience of the legal implications of projects not related to a firm , being done with software that is owned by the firm and used at home. as the home use scenario ?

i'm reading up on this personally, but would like to hear others' thoughts on this .

cliff collins
2008-01-03, 02:57 PM
"Moonlighting": NOT a good idea. There are profound legal consequences.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers......

j_starko
2008-01-03, 03:54 PM
yes I'm defineatly running into that and to be honest it's really discouraging,

my motives for "moonlighting" are to further my revit knowledge in building envelop and assembly . but from all i'm experiencing, my current firm frowns on this, and autodesk frowns on this as well.

WAY TOO MUCH FROWNING >> HUGS FOR EVERYONE !!!!