PDA

View Full Version : Problem when having to many viewport?

GreyHippo
2004-07-20, 05:33 PM
2000i question

I have a drawing in which there are 23 viewports (one viewport per layout). Whenever I go into the 5th or 6th layout acad starts to bog down and I get a low virtual memory error in windows. Is there any fix I can do, to not get this error. I usually restart and this corrects the problem. Any ideas?

arcadia_x27
2004-07-20, 05:47 PM
you can try increasing the virtual memory of your computer. i use a setting of about 2000MB for mine.

mjfarrell
2004-07-20, 05:51 PM
Go to options and examine theSYSTEM tab
look to see what is set for Layout Regen Options
perhaps you should disable caheing, only this will
cost you in regen times.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2874792&linkID=2475323

Might also have some interest to you.

Mike.Perry
2004-07-20, 05:57 PM
Hi

Check out the following Technical Documents on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS71095 - Out of memory errors when switching layouts in drawings with large number of layouts (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=3232543&linkID=2475323)

ID: TS18145 - Troubleshooting problems relating to insufficient system resources in Microsoft® Windows® (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2895823&linkID=2475323)

Have a good one, Mike

aaronrumple
2004-07-20, 06:17 PM
2000i had issues with too many viewports. One of my past clients was threatening a lawsuit because the number of viewports the placed on a sheet could not be plotted. This caching issue was resolved in later versions.

mjfarrell
2004-07-20, 06:29 PM
One of my past clients was threatening a lawsuit because the number of viewports the placed on a sheet could not be plotted.

They obviously didn't read this when they installed the product

(english translation) You might not even get your purchase price back
let alone a compensatory or punitive award.

(Sappranos translation) Youse ain't getting jack.

4. GENERAL LIMITED WARRANTY.
Autodesk warrants that the Software will provide the facilities and functions generally described in the Documentation and that the media on which the Software is furnished, if any, the Documentation accompanying the Software will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use. EXCEPT FOR THE ABOVE EXPRESS LIMITED WARRANTIES, AUTODESK MAKES AND YOU RECEIVE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY, OR IN ANY COMMUNICATION WITH YOU, AND AUTODESK SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY OTHER WARRANTY INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. AUTODESK DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE. The above exclusions may not apply to you as some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties. In addition to the above warranty rights, you may also have other rights, which vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
Autodesk's entire liability and your exclusive remedy under the warranties made in this Agreement will be, at Autodesk's option, to attempt to correct or work around errors, to replace the defective media, if any; Documentation; or to refund the purchase price and terminate this Agreement. This remedy is subject to the return of the defective media, or Documentation with a copy of your receipt to your local Autodesk office or the Authorized Autodesk Reseller from whom it was obtained within ninety (90) days from the date of its delivery to you.
5. DISCLAIMER.

COMPUTER-AIDED DESIGN SOFTWARE AND OTHER TECHNICAL SOFTWARE ARE TOOLS INTENDED TO BE USED BY TRAINED PROFESSIONALS ONLY. THEY ARE NOT SUBSTITUTES FOR YOUR PROFESSIONAL JUDGMENT. COMPUTER-AIDED DESIGN SOFTWARE AND OTHER TECHNICAL SOFTWARE ARE INTENDED TO ASSIST WITH PRODUCT DESIGN AND ARE NOT SUBSTITUTES FOR INDEPENDENT TESTING OF PRODUCT STRESS, SAFETY AND UTILITY. DUE TO THE LARGE VARIETY OF POTENTIAL APPLICATIONS FOR THE SOFTWARE, THE SOFTWARE HAS NOT BEEN TESTED IN ALL SITUATIONS UNDER WHICH IT MAY BE USED. AUTODESK SHALL NOT BE LIABLE IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER FOR THE RESULTS OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE. PERSONS USING THE SOFTWARE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SUPERVISION, MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL OF THE SOFTWARE. THIS RESPONSIBILITY INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, THE DETERMINATION OF APPROPRIATE USES FOR THE SOFTWARE AND THE SELECTION OF THE SOFTWARE AND OTHER PROGRAMS TO ACHIEVE INTENDED RESULTS. PERSONS USING THE SOFTWARE ARE ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR ESTABLISHING THE ADEQUACY OF INDEPENDENT PROCEDURES FOR TESTING THE RELIABILITY AND ACCURACY OF ANY PROGRAM OUTPUT, INCLUDING ALL ITEMS DESIGNED BY USING THE SOFTWARE.
6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY.
IN NO EVENT WILL AUTODESK OR ANY OF ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING LOSS OF DATA, LOST PROFITS, COST OF COVER, OR OTHER SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR INDIRECT DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE OR DOCUMENTATION, HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY. THIS LIMITATION WILL APPLY EVEN IF AUTODESK OR ANY AUTODESK RESELLER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSS OR DAMAGE. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE LICENSE FEE REFLECTS THIS ALLOCATION OF RISK.

AUTODESK SHALL HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY WHATSOEVER ARISING FROM LOSS OR THEFT OF THE SOFTWARE OR OF ANY COPY PROTECTION DEVICE/CODE WITH WHICH THE SOFTWARE IS SUPPLIED. SPECIFICALLY, AUTODESK SHALL NOT BE OBLIGATED TO REPLACE ANY LOST OR STOLEN SOFTWARE OR COPY PROTECTION DEVICE/CODE. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR SAFEGUARDING THE SOFTWARE AND ANY COPY PROTECTION DEVICE/CODE FROM LOSS OR THEFT AND PROTECTING YOUR INVESTMENT THROUGH INSURANCE OR OTHERWISE.

THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.

dervin
2005-01-03, 06:13 PM
Change the following setting in each viewport and in model space.

Command: viewres
Do you want fast zooms? [Yes/No] <Y>:
Enter circle zoom percent (1-20000) <100>

aaronrumple
2005-01-03, 06:35 PM
Just a matter of time before product liability does become an issue in the software industry and the licence agreement is not worth the 1's and 0's its written on. I expect the CADD market to be one of the first to be involved. In this case a settelment of some sort was reached - although I don't know what it was. Obviously some lawyer thought there were good grounds. In this case I think the software failed to meet:

"Autodesk warrants that the Software will provide the facilities and functions generally described in the Documentation and that the media on which the Software is furnished, if any, the Documentation accompanying the Software will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use."

Autodesk said it would print. It didn't print what was in the print preview under normal use.

dervin
2005-01-03, 07:25 PM
We had problems with 2000i and multiple viewports. We kept getting virtual memory errors on models and drawings that should have been small files. The problem was resolved by changing the Viewres setting in each viewport. It seems that the default circle zoom percent on some computers was set at 20000, which makes the saved file size very large and the cache for each layout tab very high depending on how many viewports are in a given tab. After changing the settings in each viewport and in modelspace, the files size greatly reduced and the cache for each layout tab decreased and we no longer had virtual memory errors. I noticed that in AutoCad 2002 and 2004 that the file size is not affected by the viewres command.

aaronrumple
2005-01-03, 07:28 PM
Related but sim. issue. This wouldn't produce errors of any sort. AutoCAD would just randomly decide not to print some objects.