PDA

View Full Version : Roof sub-elements

snurresprett9
2007-04-28, 10:14 AM
When I create a roof and modify it with the new sub elements tool, why does the roof not keep its assigned thickness? See image

Teresa.Martin
2007-04-28, 05:19 PM
Hi! It has been my experience that the old roofs do this as well (try making a roof with multiple slope arrows). When you create a roof with cross slopes, the true section cut will be different because the actual roof thickness needs to be normal to the plane.
Best regards,

snurresprett9
2007-04-28, 06:09 PM
Here's the same roof made with slope defining lines. Why this different behavior? I cant use this new tool to create roofs!

snurresprett9
2007-04-28, 06:17 PM
Hi! It has been my experience that the old roofs do this as well (try making a roof with multiple slope arrows). When you create a roof with cross slopes, the true section cut will be different because the actual roof thickness needs to be normal to the plane.
Best regards,

I tried making a roof with slope arrows. The roof behaved like it should with a consistent thickness as one should expect. I've never experienced what you just said!

Teresa.Martin
2007-04-28, 06:17 PM
Hmm..Interesting. I am not getting the same result. However, I do see what is happening based upon your image posted. My next question would be what type of roof are you trying to create? And I would also forward this to the Autodesk team/bug report. If the new roof tools are giving you incorrect dimensions other then the issue I just stated, I would be curious as to what is causing this behavior.
Sorry I could not be of more help!
Best regards,

snurresprett9
2007-04-28, 06:40 PM
Well, I'm not trying to make any special roof at the moment, I'm just testing out the new tools i RA-08. I was thinking this new tool would make it easier to make roofs that are difficult or impossible to make with the standard roof tools in Revit. But the way it behaves it is completely useless for that.

Teresa.Martin
2007-04-28, 06:52 PM
Yes, I can see where this would cause problems. I am wondering if this will affect quantity take-offs and structural alignments, etc. It might just be a graphics issue. I would submit it to Autodesk nonetheless.
Best regards,

dhurtubise
2007-04-29, 12:53 PM
It is the way it is design, use slope arrows for what you are after

snurresprett9
2007-04-29, 02:20 PM
It is the way it is design, use slope arrows for what you are after
It was designed that way?! Yeah, I can see that, but why? The way it is designed makes it totally useless for roofs (except when you need variable slab thickness for (almost)flat roofs).
Dont know what you know about buildings, but no one makes a roof with the thickness varying like this, and it would also be almost impossible to do so. What happened to draw it the way you would build it?

Use slope arrows? Why? I have this new tool and I would like too use it... if it worked that is. There are also many types of roofs that cant be drawn or it is impractical to draw with the use of slope arrows.

ford347
2007-04-29, 09:30 PM
Dont know what you know about buildings, but no one makes a roof with the thickness varying like this, and it would also be almost impossible to do so.
Tapered foam roofs for flat roof structures. Just got one quoted for the very building I'm in about a year ago when we renovated the building.

It does have it's uses.

Josh

snurresprett9
2007-04-29, 09:53 PM
except when you need variable slab thickness for (almost)flat roofs

I think that was just what I said!

ford347
2007-04-29, 09:59 PM
Listen 'Nancy', according to the quote I included with my post, you sounded pretty sure of yourself it was almost impossible to do so, I was merely addressing your comment. :cry: If you like the tool, use it, if not, don't. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Josh

dbaldacchino
2007-04-30, 03:46 AM
Nancy?! LOL!

Anyway, I can't believe I missed this during Beta (or anyone else for that matter...never saw any posts on this issue), but I have to say that this is a serious shortfall of this tool. It's not going to affect us a lot since we'll be using it for low-slope (flat) roofs, but for higher-sloped roofs, this is a serious issue. The thickness defined by the roof family should always remain consistent at any point perpendicular to the sloped surface. That's not what's happening right now. This needs to be filed with support ASAP.

Isaacarus
2007-05-01, 08:35 PM
This is a huge disappointment. I was so excited to finally have a tool where I could define the ridges of the roof. This simply won't work this way. Oh well Can't wait for version 2008.1. Hopefully it will be fixed by then.

snurresprett9
2007-05-01, 10:13 PM
This is a huge disappointment. I was so excited to finally have a tool where I could define the ridges of the roof. This simply won't work this way. Oh well Can't wait for version 2008.1. Hopefully it will be fixed by then.

Revit 2009 is only a year away. Maybe they'll fix it then. Or maybe not...

lev.lipkin
2007-05-16, 09:34 PM
Thanks a lot for your comments and feedback about the sloped slabs & roofs functionality.

Please keep in mind that some of the limitations cited were documented ‘known issues’ at the time of the product release, and that this represents phase 1 of this capability—and we’ll be working to further enhance this tool in future releases.

snurresprett9
2007-12-01, 04:52 PM
Will it be a fix for this in the future or is it already fixed?

snurresprett9
2008-08-10, 05:11 PM
Is this fixed in V2009?

dbaldacchino
2008-08-10, 06:19 PM
Unfortunately it's not fixed :( But you do get a warning when using this tool and when slopes are high (when thickness distortion is above some predefined amount).

snurresprett9
2008-08-10, 06:47 PM
Why on earth wont they fix this? Anyone?!

snurresprett9
2009-04-18, 10:53 AM
Did anything new happen to this tool in Revit 2010?

dbaldacchino
2009-04-18, 04:44 PM
Nope, same behavior.

Joef
2009-04-18, 05:02 PM
Thanks a lot for your comments and feedback about the sloped slabs & roofs functionality.

Please keep in mind that some of the limitations cited were documented ‘known issues’ at the time of the product release, and that this represents phase 1 of this capability—and we’ll be working to further enhance this tool in future releases.

That post was 2 years ago.

iankids
2009-04-19, 02:26 AM
That post was 2 years ago.

It is hard not to get angry given the effort they have put into the new UI etc.

It would seem that the only hope we have on improvements to "known issues" is for Archicad, Bently et al to become better and stronger so as to provide serious competition to Revit.

Ian

Mike Sealander
2009-04-19, 12:39 PM
My theory behind the UI improvements is that ADSK believes Revit is a better product than its market share would suggest. So, why not make changes to the interface to improve market share through easier migration? I've actually hesitated to move to 2010 simply because there does not seem to be significant improvement with regard to product innovation. However, and this is not a criticism of ADSK, every company needs to both innovate and market. 2010 may just be when marketing had to trump innovation.