PDA

View Full Version : Roof verges

ws
2007-04-29, 10:59 PM
Playing about with ways of just adding a little interest to the monolothic Revit roofs and I wonder what other users do when the roof finish, but not the insulation and structure layers has to overshoot the walls?

I've managed (thanks to DGcad tutorials) to use a fascia sweep to put a 'bargeboard' on a generic roof but maybe this isn't the best route to go for tweaking the overshoot at verges?

Any suggestions most welcome, thanks.

whittendesigns
2007-04-30, 01:50 AM
Usually, you have to make a second skin roof over the core roof. The core would have no overhangs and the skin would. Then you attach the fascia board to the skin part.

I'm actually getting to the point of almost perfecting a truly modeled roof with rafters or trusses using the line based families and detail lines in plan view and then using the roof skin for what it's supposed to be.

ws
2007-04-30, 07:29 AM
Many thanks - that looks very good.:)

I did wonder if having a roof over a roof, in effect, would cause problems with hips and valleys etc, but your roof is really just the top surface layer I assume?

I assume the rafters are positioned manually in plan view.

Ingenious - very kind of you to post the model :beer:

ejburrell67787
2007-04-30, 03:48 PM
Many thanks - that looks very good.:)

I did wonder if having a roof over a roof, in effect, would cause problems with hips and valleys etc, but your roof is really just the top surface layer I assume?

I assume the rafters are positioned manually in plan view.

Ingenious - very kind of you to post the model :beer:I have made two roofs stacked up in section to create pared back overhangs and the valleys and hips etc all worked fine. I drew one footprint and then when the lower roof was complete simple copied it and pasted into the same location, moved it up vertically in a section view then edited the sketch to change the overhangs.

ws
2007-04-30, 04:11 PM
I have made two roofs stacked up in section to create pared back overhangs and the valleys and hips etc all worked fine. I drew one footprint and then when the lower roof was complete simple copied it and pasted into the same location, moved it up vertically in a section view then edited the sketch to change the overhangs.

Clever - a bit of 'sideways thinking' is handy in 3D cad :)

I didn't realise you could do that in Revit - I'm used to modelling one roof, the whole roof and nothing but the one roof ;)

thanks Elrond.

whittendesigns
2007-04-30, 05:55 PM
The rafters are placed as "pick one detail line, one rafter gets put in". Wish there was a select all instances thingy there so it wouldn't be so tedious sometimes. It's not the greatest system in the world, but it does make your rafters the exact length you need without any figuring. Most times I do it just like Elrond says, copy and paste one roof on top of the other and move it up slightly.