PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping

J. Grouchy
2004-07-20, 09:02 PM
Is there a good way to create a brick return without completely wrapping the brick around the end of the wall?
Example: I have a brick on CMU wall, and at each storefront window opening I want to return the brick to the CMU and the storefront (i.e. Revit curtain wall mullion) will cover this joint. When I tell Revit to "wrap at inserts", it returns the brick all the way to the inside face of the wall. I only want it to return to the "exterior face of core". If I create two walls - one just a single wythe CMY and one just a single wythe of brick and return the brick to the CMU, my wall joins go crazy. The only way I have found to do this is to create a separate brick wall type where the brick is as thick at a regular wythe plus the width of the airspace (e.g. 6" thick brick) so that the I can more accurately represent the condition. If there is no other way...I want to add "wrap to.." to the Revit Wishlist.

SkiSouth
2004-07-20, 09:30 PM
In your wall definition, how do you have the wrapping set, Interior, exterior or both?

Scott D Davis
2004-07-20, 10:36 PM
I think the problem is coming from the fact that Revit thinks you are 'ending' your wall. you have left a piece of wall out, and are infilling it with curtain wall.

If your curtain wall was a 'window family', when you insert it in the wall, the "Wrap at Insert" would take over, and you brick would wrap as you have expected, to the exterior face of core.

Does that make sense? A window family is insert, and cuts the wall, and the wrapping at insert works. A curtain wall is draw as a wall, and is not insert into the wall, and thus the wrapping at insert does not work.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-07-21, 06:50 AM
You can get greater control of how materials return at window and door openings by using the Wall Closure property in the window/door definition.

(from the help file)
Note: Windows and doors have a type property called Wall Closure. This property overrides the wrapping settings in the Edit Assembly dialog box

Check out the help file undr walls, and wrapping.

J. Grouchy
2004-07-21, 01:02 PM
If your curtain wall was a 'window family', when you insert it in the wall, the "Wrap at Insert" would take over, and you brick would wrap as you have expected, to the exterior face of core.

Does that make sense? A window family is insert, and cuts the wall, and the wrapping at insert works. A curtain wall is draw as a wall, and is not insert into the wall, and thus the wrapping at insert does not work.

How do I insert the curtain wall as a 'window family', as you say? The way I was taught to do it, either cut the wall into segments (or edit its profile) then draw the curtain wall in as you would a regular wall. This would necessarily negate the 'wall closure' property and take me back to square one.

It certainly would be nice to be able to draw the 'storefront window' (or curtain wall) in like you would a wall rather than having to pre-define the size of each opening. (wishlist item)

Scott D Davis
2004-07-21, 04:09 PM
How do I insert the curtain wall as a 'window family', as you say?
Basically, you would create 'windows' in the family editor that would represent your storefront, rather than using the curtain wall tool. You have been correct in your process that you describe below, but in this case, with the wrapping you need you will have to go about it differently.

Wishlist item may need to be added that when a 'normal' wall meets a 'curtain wall', Revit should recognize the connection and the Wrapping would function as an 'insert.'

jarod.tulanowski
2004-12-22, 09:01 PM
totaly agree with it being a wish-list item. I fought with this one for quite some time

SkiSouth
2004-12-28, 04:38 PM
Well, at least they got the inserting the storefront correct in 7.0. But you're right, the wrapping does not work with an "inserted" storefront in another wall. Hopefully - they will see this as another opportunity to make the software even better.

Michelle Gibson
2005-04-14, 06:54 PM
I am stuck on this one as well. Split face block on wood stud backup, then additional steel stud and gypsum board finish for increased thermal value (Canada, eh!). Depth of wall is significant, and window/door is located closer to the block exterior. We don't need block to wrap, but want the gypsum board only to wrap at the end. I've tried wrap at interior but it makes a mess - the steel stud and gypsum board return to the midpoint of my wood stud - not good.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

to make matters worse, this is a stacked wall, same issue with stucco wall above.