PDA

View Full Version : Scope Boxes Obsolete?

jcoe
2007-05-01, 12:36 PM
Currently ( pre Revit Architecture 2008 ) I have been using the scope box feature to break my overall building into smaller manageable sections. However, with the dependent view feature in Revit Architecture 2008 I really do not need to use the scope boxes in this manner. Are there any other uses for scope boxes that I am missing? There seems to be redundancy now in the methods by which we can divide a building into smaller parts. So my question is, are scope boxes really necessary anymore?

fernando
2007-05-01, 12:52 PM
I don't think so, scope box help a lot in preparing our documentation, for example, we in Portugal need to had 2 kind of elevations, one near the wall that show all the building elevation, and another a little far away that show property walls and the building wall behind it, scope boxes help a lot in that.

Or when I want that sections show automatically a scoped area....

after all there are many ways of use Revit objects.

twiceroadsfool
2007-05-01, 01:11 PM
Currently ( pre Revit Architecture 2008 ) I have been using the scope box feature to break my overall building into smaller manageable sections. However, with the dependent view feature in Revit Architecture 2008 I really do not need to use the scope boxes in this manner. Are there any other uses for scope boxes that I am missing? There seems to be redundancy now in the methods by which we can divide a building into smaller parts. So my question is, are scope boxes really necessary anymore?

We use them for grid control in phasing... If we have two phases that overlap the same areas, and do not want the Phase 2 grids to show up in the Phase 1 documentation, its much easier to manage two scope boxes than to go around shutting off all of the annotations. Even with the 2008 method of hiding more than one at once, i think its still a great use of scope boxes...

jcoe
2007-05-01, 01:22 PM
I don't think so, scope box help a lot in preparing our documentation, for example, we in Portugal need to had 2 kind of elevations, one near the wall that show all the building elevation, and another a little far away that show property walls and the building wall behind it, scope boxes help a lot in that.

Or when I want that sections show automatically a scoped area....

after all there are many ways of use Revit objects.At first I thought about this too, because I also use scope boxes for elevations and sections. After running a test, I found that you can create dependent views of sections and elevations as well. (see attached.) However, this does not address your issue of two elevations because you cannot change the far clip plane of the dependent elevation views.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mactn113
2007-05-01, 06:14 PM
I will still be using scope boxes to break up a plan into areas rather than dependent views.

The primary reason for this is view browser organization.
Our browser is filtered to only display views that are not placed on a sheet.

Dependent views that have been placed on a sheet still remain in the view browser until the parent view has been placed.

The dependent views did not really add anything that cannot be taken care of with a detail group of unit break lines.

Has anyone else run into this or am I missing something?