PDA

View Full Version : Groups in RAC2008

tomm
2007-05-01, 03:37 PM
I have been testing out groups and have found the new groups tools in RAC2008 to be great. However I am having a problem, and I wonder if anyone can shed some light. I need a pre cast wall that includes 2 reveals, 2 wall sweeps, a void cut, and model text. I have got to the point where all these things group together fine except for one problem. I can't seem to edit the group to change the length of the wall after I place the group. I get an error message that reads something like "Revit has encountered a serious problem and recommends that you save and close" After trying to save and close a couple of times I opt for the option of "continue without saving" and end up still in group edit mode. I can then cancel out of the group editor. Can someone look at the group and see what is up?

nj_lockwood
2007-05-01, 05:54 PM
Hi Tomm -

I looked at your file and tried to follow your instructions but was unable to reproduce the error.

If you provide a journal file that demonstrates the issue (along with your .rvt that you have already attached), I can look at that.

If you are looking for a workaround, you might try editing he .rvt file for the change you want (different length wall) and reloading that into your project by selecting the group in the project browser and using the reload command.

Steve_Stafford
2007-05-01, 09:13 PM
I looked at your file and found myself second guessing why you need groups. Not what I'm supposed to be doing I suppose but I was thinking you could make the "signage" a wall hosted generic model family, with the model text nested inside. The "wedges" could be an architectural column instead of vertical sweeps. Regardless how you solve it, it wasn't clear why it needed to be a group unless you plan to place copies of the group all over the place? If you did the signage wouldn't be able to change.

tomm
2007-05-02, 11:52 AM
Sorry for the delay in replying. I have attached the journal file.

Steve: You are right I need to copy these walls at many places and with different varying lengths. I have tried a family in the past but I need to place wall hosted equipment on these walls and a wall can't be included in a family. The signage does not need to change, but always stays the same.
Thanks for your help

nj_lockwood
2007-05-02, 02:32 PM
Hi Tomm -

Sorry about this, but I am unable to run the journal you provided.

One problem is it depends on your template, another more important one is that I do not have "MANSER10Test.rvt".

Perhaps you could verify the problem on a simplified version of "MANSER10Test.rvt", and then just provide that file with a clear small set of instructions to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Nathan