PDA

View Full Version : Site Plans

thomasf
2007-05-01, 08:37 PM
How do y'all handle drawing site plans. Getting the property lines in is easy, I figured that out pretty quickly and I like the interface.

Now what's the best method for drawing the easements and set-back lines and adding all the labels?

Thanks

tc3dcad60731
2007-05-01, 08:57 PM
Mine are all residential site plans for the most part so after I create the boundary from the survey I use Detail Lines to create the setbacks, etc. As for labeling I generally just use leaders and dimensions to call out the measurements and what the lines are representing.

thomasf
2007-05-01, 09:07 PM
We are all residential too.

So once you draw the detail line you have to chnage it manually to get the line type you want or is it possible to create a lien just for easements & set-backs?

luigi
2007-05-01, 09:16 PM
How do y'all handle drawing site plans. Getting the property lines in is easy, I figured that out pretty quickly and I like the interface.

Now what's the best method for drawing the easements and set-back lines and adding all the labels?

Thanks
For easements and set-back lines, you have choices. In my flow, I can use 2d lines for easements and setbacks (using of course a line style for easements or set backs that I created). I don't mind that info showing only in my site plan, so a view specific line works for me.

Depending on which labels you are talking about....I use text or actual labels (for instance, as you might already know, you can label the property line) I usually just add a parking count schedule on the site drawing (if for zoning ordinance) and if my superiors force me to add numbers on the site plan itself, zoned by aisle, then I just create a generic annotation that has a circle and a number, and manually place the number. For other things, I just add text where I need it.

If you have certain specific things then you could post them and people can give you direct answers...

Take care,

luigi
2007-05-01, 09:18 PM
Sorry, didn't read this until now...

Yes you can make your own line style...under settings/Line Styles....Create a new one, name it what you want, change the graphics of it and just use that line....it will work for either view specific or model lines.

We are all residential too.

So once you draw the detail line you have to chnage it manually to get the line type you want or is it possible to create a lien just for easements & set-backs?

Steve_Stafford
2007-05-01, 09:43 PM
I like to use the property line tool for setbacks too. I like it because it is easy and I can tag the buildable area of the property just as easily. I then use the Linework tool to override the appearance of the "setback" property line by creating a specific linestyle for it. I left the arc segment of the setback alone, the way it looks without the Linework tool. The attached project file is a simple mockup of this approach. While sketching I use the Pick Lines option and provide an offset equal to the setback requirements for each segment.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-05-01, 10:14 PM
I like to use the property line tool for setbacks too. I like it because it is easy and I can tag the buildable area of the property just as easily. .
Nice tip Steve :beer:

jeff.95551
2007-05-01, 10:21 PM
Steve - good idea. I'm still trying to figure out why you can't change the property line style. We just had a huge issue on a file where somebody didn't like the thin property line, and because you can't globally change it, drafted 2d lines on top of the property line and turned off the property line itself. And of course it moved and caused major headaches. I personally think you should have to edit the property line even to move it, as well - our civil engineer says he's had this exact same problem happen with other projects where the architect was on Revit. And by the way, Civil Engineers and Landscape Architects don't think that this stuff is very funny! They wonder what kind of POS software doesn't let you control the property line!

Jeff

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-05-01, 11:25 PM
You can change the property line style.

Object properties/site/property lines change it to whatever pattern and weight you want.

The property line is a Revit object and not just a line. You can't have two styles of property line because Revit wouldn't know which properties to assign to it hence the reason for using the linework tool to differentiate the property line from the setback line.

Steve_Stafford
2007-05-01, 11:39 PM
Thanks for covering for me Dimitri :smile: I would love it if they just added a Setback tool that was exactly the same as the property line tool but used a setback objectstyle instead. From where I sit it seems "easy"! :smile:

tc3dcad60731
2007-05-02, 02:09 AM
Sorry, didn't read this until now...

Yes you can make your own line style...under settings/Line Styles....Create a new one, name it what you want, change the graphics of it and just use that line....it will work for either view specific or model lines.

Luigi clarified what I was trying to say......... Steve's suggestion / method of doing this is probably better! In all honesty I had never thought of doing it that way.

iru69
2007-05-02, 03:35 AM
You can't have two styles of property line because Revit wouldn't know which properties to assign to it hence the reason for using the linework tool to differentiate the property line from the setback line.
With Revit 2008, you can use the new graphic override element to assign a different line style to the "setback" property line and avoid using the linework tool at all.

SCShell
2007-05-02, 12:40 PM
Hey Steve,

Great Tip! Thank you. Just goes to show ya, ......(something about an old dog....pointing to myself.)
Steve

thomasf
2007-05-02, 08:27 PM
....I use text or actual labels (for instance, as you might already know, you can label the property line)...

No, I'm not aware of that. This is our first project in RevIt, so I'll be picking every bodies brain for all kinds of tips & tricks.

How do I get RevIt to label the property lines.

Thanks,

Tom

thomasf
2007-05-02, 08:36 PM
Rotateing Site Plan or Model?

After I draw my site plan true North is up and when I create my model plan North is up. So, do y'all rotate the site so that plan North is up and how does that affect the labels I put on the Property Lines?

How do you handle that situation?

Thanks,

Tom

Steve_Stafford
2007-05-03, 01:26 AM
I prefer to put site in a separate project file oriented up for true North. Then I build the project using project North, whatever makes it easy to draw and fit on paper. Then I link the building into the site project file. As a link it is trivial to move the building, rotate it and even raise or lower its elevation. Then using shared coordinates I publish its position from the site file to the building file. Any site changes are done in the site project file and then saved to the building keeping its position coordinated. I wrote a blog article (http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2006/06/true-elevation-and-position.html) about this in the past. Check the help documentation for shared positioning too. Very cool, powerful feature.