PDA

View Full Version : Schedule Wall Sweeps

ford347
2007-05-01, 10:10 PM
So now in RAC 2008, you can schedule wall sweeps. Good thing. So I started setting one up to see how I might make this work for all of my various foam shapes etc. in my project, then went to tag one of them and found out that you cannot tag wall sweeps. So I am left to wonder why you would want to schedule them, with the exception of an internal report or something.

My thinking here was that I have four projects, all with similar foam shapes. I would prefer not to draw a cut over every instance of every profile, so I thought I would maybe assign a type mark to each one, tag them, then in the schedule, show the type mark, profile name and a comments field. So I could then name my profiles, then in the comments field re-direct the reader to a general sheet that had the profiles detailed for dimensions etc. So whether or not they were used in combinations with others, they at least could be referenced and kept track of rather than addressing each individual instance of that shape in the model via section cut. I wanted to do this because I would like a little more information concerning the sweep from what a keynote may do for you by way of just providing a verbal explanation.

So I guess this is two parts; am I taking this way too far, or does this sound like a reasonable approach to staying organized? - or - should wall sweeps be taggable? Since they are not, how could I use a wall sweep schedule with no way to direct the reader from the wall sweep to the schedule?

Just curious how others have been handling this in their documentation.

Thanks
Josh

Teresa.Martin
2007-05-02, 01:24 AM
Hi! I have been trying out a few things. I am wondering if a modified material tag would work. You might have to manually enter (as a text field) what the profile was the first time, but I think it might read through. I have not checked this to its final conclusion however. I had a little success with this, but have yet to test it with schedules, etc.
Just a thought.

Best regards,

ford347
2007-05-02, 06:16 PM
Are you talking about possibly using a shared parameter in the tag that you could add to the wall sweep category, then place that parameter in a schedule and tie them together that way? That might work.

Josh

Teresa.Martin
2007-05-02, 06:44 PM
Yes. I was heading in that direction. I am wondering if we could get this to work...
As I said, I was playing around with it last night for just a bit and trying out different types of tags and parameters. The material tag seemed to offer the most promise. Alas, it would be nice if this was just dialed in though...

Best regards.

twiceroadsfool
2007-05-02, 06:53 PM
It WOULD be great if you could tag them, and then drop them in a legend as a Legend Component....

ford347
2007-05-02, 07:36 PM
So aside from a workaround, I'm still curious as to how everyone else has been handling this. if you can't tag them, then they really have no business in a schedule for documentation, unless you are using it for an internal report of course.

I played around with the tag a little and found it to be quite cumbersome. I would have to create a new material for every profile, which I didn't like. Not saying I did it right, that's just what I ran across.

I think for now, unless I hear a better idea from someone, we'll just keynote them. I'll just add a bunch of misc. keynotes to my misc. category in my keynote file, then keynote each one seperately.

iru69
2007-05-02, 07:54 PM
if you can't tag them, then they really have no business in a schedule for documentation, unless you are using it for an internal report of course.
Obviously you should be able to tag them, but scheduling is still useful for a material take off/cost schedule.

ejc
2007-05-02, 08:01 PM
Obviously you should be able to tag them, but scheduling is still useful for a material take off/cost schedule.

You can add length to the sweep fields, but not width.

ejc

ford347
2007-05-02, 09:12 PM
Obviously you should be able to tag them, but scheduling is still useful for a material take off/cost schedule. Thanks for stating that a little better. That's what I was getting at when I said internal report. I've acutally used that now that we can schedule since I'm in the middle of costing these homes, so that was nice.

How are you guys handling your sweep profiles for say, foam. Are you just taking care of that through your sections, or do you have a method similar to what I would like to do and have a workaround for it?

Josh

iru69
2007-05-02, 09:46 PM
You can add length to the sweep fields, but not width.
A typical scenario would be a crown molding. You give it a cost (e.g. $3 per LF) and multiply it by the length as a calculated parameter in your schedule:

Cost * (Length / 1')

ejc
2007-05-04, 01:10 AM
All horizontal sweeps will use the length parameter. Then add the "cost" field, and play around with totals, etc. in the schedule.

Scheduling sweeps gets annoying when they are vertical!

I hope I understood the question.

Good Luck,

ejc

iru69
2007-05-04, 01:40 AM
I hope I understood the question.
Uhh, were you talking to me? There was no question. I think we're stuck in a chain of misinterpretations... :)