PDA

View Full Version : Measuring the Area of a Shadow

rjcrowther
2007-05-02, 05:27 AM
I have just gone through a convoluted method of measuring the area of shadow from a house falling on a neighbouring lot. This involved tracing over the shadow with a floor and getting the area from the floor's properties to give me the traced area.

Surely there is a better way that has escaped me. I often use filled regions to get areas of things but there are no filled regions in 3d views.

Still using 9.1.

Thanks,
Rob

gordolake
2007-05-02, 05:56 AM
Hi Rob, Try using an area plan with shadows on and trace outline. I dont see the need to use a 3D view?

Steve

blads
2007-05-02, 05:57 AM
Unfortunately that's the way I've been doing it as well, although of late Councils over here haven't been asking for areas of shadows, just been content with seeing images.

rjcrowther
2007-05-02, 06:30 AM
Hi Rob, Try using an area plan with shadows on and trace outline. I dont see the need to use a 3D view?
Thanks Steve, that looks like a better option. The house in question had 3 neighbouring lots so this would give the added benefit of an area schedule showing the impact on each lot.

Unfortunately that's the way I've been doing it as well, although of late Councils over here haven't been asking for areas of shadows, just been content with seeing images.
I would love for your planning officers to come west.

This particular effort overshadows by about 10% with the maximum allowable being 25% (probably the same as S.A.). Blind Freddy can see that it is not an issue, but no, the book calls for a shadow diagram so that is what we provide - and apparently a shadow diagram is not a shadow diagram unless it has areas.

Anyway, thats my whinge for the day - back to work.

Thanks,
Rob