PDA

View Full Version : Dimensioning normal to curved elements

Mike Sealander
2007-05-02, 12:34 PM
Hi.
I am working on a residence with a curved exterior wall, and curved roof edge above. I want to dimension the horizontal distance from the wall to the edge of the curve on a section view taken normal to the curve; in other words, the section line intersects the center of the circle that defines the wall and roof.
I believe Revit can't do this. Is that correct? Is there a workaround?

John K.
2007-05-02, 01:23 PM
I'd probably place a reference line tangent to the curve, pin it, & dimension to same.

Batman
2008-06-06, 10:18 PM
Have any of the improvements in 2009 dimensions allowed a simpler way to address this?

I have a situation (constantly) where I need to dimension a buildings edge or corner relative to the closest point at the boundary, sometimes curved sometimes off paralell.

How do most cope with this situation? Any solutions apart from using a ref plane?

Scott D Davis
2008-06-07, 12:23 AM
Does the dimention have to be at the center point of the arc? Why not just dimension the endpoint of the arc and the endpoint of the curved wall?

Batman
2008-06-07, 01:29 AM
Unfortunatly not possible.

The attached image shows my problem. On this pic you may able to see the ref plane being referenced for the dimension.

Scott D Davis
2008-06-07, 02:00 AM
I may be way off, but I might question what that dimension is good for...the radius and center point of the arc would be important, but the dimension from the corner of a wall to the curve is really irrelevant, isn't it? The curve will just fall where it will, and will be the correct distance from the corner as long as the correct center point and radius have been used.

Batman
2008-06-07, 02:11 AM
I understand your point.

The issue is that where I'm from this information is needed for local regulations development approval. It's shows the building offset relative the site boundary.

Scott D Davis
2008-06-07, 02:15 AM
Ah I see, so the dashed line is a property line or other boundary and you need to show the distance from that to the building. Makes more sense to me now the need for the dimension! :)

jason.b
2008-07-09, 09:14 PM
This may be a dumb question, but is there an easier way of locating the center point of a curved wall radius other than drawing references planes or lines. I thought I could dimension to the center point of a radial dimension, but I am not having luck at this time. Any suggestions?

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-09, 09:42 PM
This may be a dumb question, but is there an easier way of locating the center point of a curved wall radius other than drawing references planes or lines. I thought I could dimension to the center point of a radial dimension, but I am not having luck at this time. Any suggestions?

Select the curved wall > Properties > check "Center mark visible"

Andre Carvalho

patricks
2008-07-10, 03:19 AM
I could have sworn that dimensioning between curved elements was a new feature in 2009. I thought I remembered seeing it on one of those new features slide shows. Am I wrong?

Batman
2008-07-10, 04:36 AM
Thats why I asked, I thought there was some new feature that allowed the sort of thing I'm after....

clay_hickling
2008-07-10, 07:37 AM
you might be thinking of dimensioning to the center point of an arc which you can know do in 2009.

tmaple.129634
2008-07-10, 07:56 AM
Here is my FAKE Dimension. it's a line based family

It's an arrow at present but you could modify it to suit your company's dim style. best thing is if you lock the ends (once drawn) it will adjust the dims.

Hope this helps..

jason.b
2008-07-11, 01:58 PM
Thanks Andre! That's exactly what I was looking for.