PDA

View Full Version : spot dimensions

johnf.77896
2007-05-02, 07:49 PM
I am trying to place a spot dimension on a framing plan detail, which works fine, except for it is basing its height off of (0) zero (first floor). The issue is that it is roof framing for the second level and I am trying to base that framing off of the 2nd floor level and not the first floor, since they will be measuring from the second level with there tape measure. BTW the framing was placed using the second level as it's base. Is there any way to change the way that the spot dimension receives its information regarding height?

Thanks
John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

Teresa.Martin
2007-05-02, 08:12 PM
Hi. In regards to Spot elevations, you can set them to either project or relative. If you choose relative you will see on the options bar "Relative Base". Choose whatever level you wish to be your base level for spot elevations.
Best regards,

johnf.77896
2007-05-02, 08:26 PM
Hi. In regards to Spot elevations, you can set them to either project or relative. If you choose relative you will see on the options bar "Relative Base". Choose whatever level you wish to be your base level for spot elevations.
Best regards,

Teresa, are you talking about the "spot dimensions" under the "drafting" tab?

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

Teresa.Martin
2007-05-02, 08:58 PM
Yes, that is what I was referring to 'Spot Elevations' to be exact.
Is this not what you were looking for?

Teresa.Martin
2007-05-02, 09:03 PM
Oh..and what version of Revit are you on? The added functionality for spot elevations is new to 2008. If you are on 9.1 you do not have that option. Sorry!
Best regards,

ford347
2007-05-02, 09:17 PM
Thanks Teresa!! I didn't catch that added functionality in 2008. I was actually 'wishing' the same thing, but never pursued it.

Thanks again!
Josh

johnf.77896
2007-05-02, 09:17 PM
yep, that is what I am looking for, spot dimensions. I am currently working in 9.1 trying to pick up some changes on a project that is under construction and fear that if I try to upgrade it to RA2008 something will hatch and I would have start from scratch. But I will have to if I want this to work.

Teresa, Thanks for your help
John Fleming

ford347
2007-05-02, 09:21 PM
John,

You should save a copy of your file, then open in Revit 2008, that way you can do a test run and if it works, just keep going. That's what I did with my four residential track projects I have going right now. I was a little nervous as this would be a catastrophe if I lost it or something happened, so I just copied. I've experienced multiple crashes due to some graphics conflicts, but each time I was able to create a recovery file. So that didn't hurt too bad. haven't really noticed any other problems I didn't already have in 9.1 though. So I am still working in my 2008 files and still going. Of course if you do get far enough along and something does go wrong, you can't dumb the file back down, so I see your concern. Good luck!

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on that one for you.

Josh

johnf.77896
2007-05-02, 09:36 PM
So, I upgraded to 2008 and pick the "spot elevation" command and I see "relative base" but the level selection is greyed out. So no luck, I will have to fake it.

thanks again
John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

Teresa.Martin
2007-05-02, 09:45 PM
Did you change the type of spot elevation to "Target Relative" instead of "Target Project"?
You should have this option in the type selector.
Best regards,

Tyveka
2007-05-02, 09:46 PM
John, you don't have to fake it. In 2008, edit the properties of the Spot Elevation Type and change the type properties from Project to either Shared or Relative. Then, once you have made a change to the family type, the Relative Base option will no longer be greyed out and you can choose where you want your base level to measure.

EDIT - Ninjaed by Teresa...

johnf.77896
2007-05-02, 10:27 PM
Got it. Thanks for everyones help.

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

BTW it works the same way in 9.1 now that I tried it. thanks again.