PDA

View Full Version : Editing strutural famlies

croker5
2007-05-02, 11:01 PM
Hi Everyone!

I have a problem that may have been brought up before. I can't figure out how to cut a profile out of say a UB steel beam for architectural looks. Can you physically edit steel members? If not how would i make a roof rafter say a UB with a tapered end for aesthetics?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Cheers

MattB-1442
2007-05-02, 11:08 PM
Ah, the the inability to FULLY manipulate structural members for architectural AND CORRECT structural representation is my biggest pet peeve with Revit.

The structural elements have a mind of their own most of the time. You'll find yourself modeling in-place elements to represent things as the would be in reality - "dumb geometry".

I sure wish they would fix this ..... give us the ability to model the structure correctly!

croker5
2007-05-10, 03:59 AM
Oh dear.... i see. Well how would i go about making up my own family to act a steel members which could be adjusted in length?

Cheers

cphubb
2007-05-10, 03:51 PM
You need Revit Structures to edit the structural members in place. Otherwise the custom family is the only way in building

jeff.95551
2007-05-10, 04:16 PM
Has anybody tried to pester Autodesk into putting together a Super-Revit, with Building, Structures, and MEP all in one? Assuming they didn't ask me to pay 3 times the price, I'd be interested. We have so much control over certain parts of the project, and then we have to go back to horse and buggy sketch and redline for everything else, even when our consultants use the Revit packages... in many cases we could do the basic structural and mechanical layouts and drafting, and hand the project over to a consultant for the anaylsis and review and stamping. We'd have more control, and save money on consultants. It seems like we do most of that anyway, just low-tech.