PDA

View Full Version : Crash on Layout Change/Plot

stuart.71974
2004-07-21, 11:05 AM
there is an inconsistent crash occuring often when I am trying to change layouts or to plot a layout. When I load AutoCAD an error message acomes up saying Error: coulnd not load resource dll. After having done a check on ACAD.exe with Dependency Walker, it appears that it is looking for efsadu.dll (Encrypted file service) but there are no encrypted files on my computer. I don't know if this initial problem is related to the layout change/plot crash or not, but it may be. Has anyone encountered this problem before, or found a solution?

Attempted solutions:
-install relevant dll to autocad directory
-reinstall AutoCAD
-reinstall printer drivers
-reinstall Windows dlls

can anyone help?!!!!!!!!!

Mike.Perry
2004-07-21, 12:39 PM
Hi

What version of AutoCAD are you running?

Have you *all* the latest Updates & Service Packs (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=2475161) installed for that version?

Check out the following thread, gives a method that ensures Autodesk products are completely uninstalled -

Raster 2005 Question... "ERROR 25001" (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=4833&highlight=uninstall)

Might be worth checking out a DLL Error Fix application -

"DLL Errors Fixed" free (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=%22DLL+Errors+Fixed%22+free) - 95 results returned from a Google search.

Have a good one, Mike

stuart.71974
2004-07-21, 12:53 PM
I am running AutoCAD 2004

and have installed the following updates

-AutoCADĀ® 2004 Service Pack 1a

-hpgdi8.hdi Service Pack 1 Update

the other updates didnt seem relevant,

do you think I should install any of the others?

Mike.Perry
2004-07-21, 02:43 PM
Hi

Personally I would install all Updates and Service Packs that are relevant to the Autodesk product(s) I'm running (I normally wait at least a month or so after the release date, I prefer to let others find any issues/problems with them before I install).

Fingers crossed it resolves your "inconsistent crash".

Have a good one, Mike

stuart.71974
2004-07-22, 09:48 AM
Have installed all other Autocad 2004 updates relevant to my system, and still the same crashes when changing layouts and when plotting.

Any other suggestions?

Mike.Perry
2004-07-22, 10:12 AM
Hi

Have you tried a complete AutoCAD re-install (making sure you've completely uninstalled *all* Autodesk product first, refer to my first message)

As you're running and Autodesk 2004 (or 2005) product have you tried the following -

<snip>
Error Reporting utility let's you send in reports to Autodesk if AutoCAD crashes. Do it and make the next Service Pack or Release more stable. If AutoCAD ends unexpectedly, and the Error Report message is not displayed, make sure the REPORTERROR system variable is set to 1.
</snip>

What Operating System are you running + does this have the latest Service Packs and Critical Updates installed?

+

Check out the following thread (the bit of interest is the snippet from Ed Jobe) -

Red AutoSNAP marker (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=5297&highlight=jobe)

Issues/Problems with random crashes are notoriously difficult to resolve due to their very nature.... hopefully Ed's little guide will help.

Have a good one, Mike

stuart.71974
2004-07-22, 02:23 PM
Have tried total uninstall according to the directions mentioned, including deletion of registry entries and residual files. Then re-installed, but still same problem. Maybe this is indicative of the problem being outwith AutoCAD (possibly corrupt code in dwg or layouts, but no errors picked up by audit function). I am running XP Home, with all latest updates installed. (have even tried a repair reinstall of windows)

Had a similar problem a number of years back and tracked it down to some corrupted mirrored Mtext, which audit did not detect, and when I got rid of the dodgy Mtext the drawing was fine. Back then Autocad crashed when I would try to change layout, similar to this problem. But this time it does not seem to be isolated to one drawing.

P.S. I have been sending reports to Autodesk every time AutoCAD crashes.

Mike.Perry
2004-07-22, 03:14 PM
Hi

For what it's worth I've just stumbled across the following on the Autodesk web site -

ID: DL404045 - AutoCADĀ® 2004 File and Registry Cleaner (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=3318900&linkID=2475712)

Have a good one, Mike

stuart.71974
2004-07-22, 04:14 PM
Thanks for your help Mike, the discussion got my memory going and especially brought to mind the previous problem. Although that was in Autocad 2000, I thought I would try a lightning select to remove all mtext (from model space) in my drawing, to see if that was what was causing the crashes, and sure enough, when I removed the mtext (from model space), layout changes and plots went ahead with no hitch.

Not quite sure why this is, corrupted fonts or something maybe.

Still haven't traced the resource dll problem, but that appears to be a different problem, which so far doen't appear to have any serious consequences. I hope!!!!

Mike.Perry
2004-07-22, 04:26 PM
Hi

Do these problem drawings use True Type Fonts?

If yes try substituting any Text Objects that use True Type Fonts to native AutoCAD Fonts (.SHX) and see if that cures the problem.

Have a good one, Mike

doggarn6622
2004-07-28, 11:10 PM
Warning Read Carefully

To get a clean install of Autocad that still has problems tasks and you have tried to unistall and a problem still lingers read the follow carefully.

You might want to do a full backup of your registry, and a restore point if using XP.
What I have had to do when encountering the blue screen of death syndrome of errors in autocad... I did an uninstall, and then made a backup of registry, then open regedit
and go to
Hkey_Current_User then under software of that find Autodesk and delete that folder and then under
Hkey_Local_Machine find Autodesk and delete that folder as well.

Then in Windows Explorer go to Program Files and fing the Common Files Folder and delete the Autodesk Shared folder.

This is only recommended if you feel sure that you have no other alternative and your IT guy does it....

Reboot and reinstall autocad

Mike Perry in Anchorage Alaska...

stuart.71974
2004-08-04, 03:34 PM
HHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried to reinstall AutoCAD after a complete reinstall (almost losing my plot styles in doing so, but recovered them thanks to NORTON RECOVER), but to no avail, if anything the problem has gotten worse. Now every time I change to a paperspace layout AutoCAD crashes.

Some posibilities come to mind, but not sure?

-the MPR.dll which is not functioning properly (according to dependency walker) is preventing autoCAD from calling printer server, and therefore from accessing papersize details etc for the printers. But it seems strange that I have no problem printing from any other program.

-Fonts - maybe AutoCAD is having problems processing fonts in paper space, but I think this is ruled out because AutoCAD is crashing in exactly the same way now even on blank drawings

-AutoCAD itself has some faulty routines. But have done complete reinstall with every tracr of AutoCAD removed.

-The only other thing I can think of is that the print services are corrupted, wither the server or the specific printer drivers, but again it seems strange that I have no problem printing from any other program.

CAN ANYONE HEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Mike.Perry
2004-08-04, 03:57 PM
Hi

-the MPR.dll which is not functioning properly (according to dependency walker) is preventing autoCAD from calling printer server, and therefore from accessing papersize details etc for the printers. But it seems strange that I have no problem printing from any other program.
Have you tried to correct this issue?

When you reinstalled AutoCAD did you temporally turn OFF! (Disable) any Anti Virus Software that you use?

Have a good one, Mike

stuart.71974
2004-08-05, 09:14 AM
Tried re-installing again, making sure that the Anti-virus was disabled.

Still the same crash, whenever I change a layout.

I have gone through all the arx modules and unloaded them one at a time.

When I unload acdim.arx I can then enter page setup, and alter to my hearts content, but woe betide me if I touch the printer properties button. INSTANT CRASH (No Save).

This would seem to suggest that the connection between Autocad and printer server/drivers is the problem. Could this be linked with the failure to load the unnamed resource dll (MPR according to Dependency Walker).

What do you think?

Mike.Perry
2004-08-05, 09:35 AM
Hi

When you reinstalled AutoCAD do you also reinstall Service Pack 1a (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=2475161#section100)?

Only ask this, as Service Pack 1a contains an updated version of "acdim.arx".

Did find the following regarding "acdim.arx" on the CADalyst web site -

Bug Watch: January 1, 2003 - Dimstyle dialog distress (2000 to 2002 SP1) (http://www.cadalyst.com/cadalyst/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=80471)

+

On the Autodesk web site -

ID: TS74637 - Error: Unhandled Exception C0000005 (Access Violation Reading 0x0000) at address 7*******h (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2893034&linkID=2475323)

Though these don't apply to AutoCAD 2004, it may very well have migrated itself into that version, therefore by applying Service Pack 1a it may well cure those problems + possible others associated with "acdim.arx".

Whatever I would definitely try and resolve the DLL issue/problem, if you don't how can you be confident it's not the DLL that's causing (or part of) the issue/problem.

Have a good one, Mike