PDA

View Full Version : Importing SketchUP as mass

gordie_v
2007-05-03, 03:09 PM
I have been following the help file in regards to importing a sketchUP tile into a mass family. The problem I have is when the sketchUP model is updated I can't get the mass to update or rather objects associated to that mass to update. the help file says I can link a dwg into a family, but that option is grayed out.

Has anyone been able to get this to work

Here is my work flow:
Model form in sketchUP
export sketchUP to DWG
open new mass family
file > Import/Link > Cad Formats (Link is not available See Jpg)
save family > import into project > apply wal/floor/roof by face
change form in SketchUP
re export to dwg > replace dwg in family resave > reload family
Remake floor/wall/roof (oops deletes element)

twiceroadsfool
2007-05-03, 03:15 PM
Ive played with this as well... This is completely just how im interpreting whats happening, but here goes:

If i draw a wall and dimension it, i can them move the wall (alter geometry) and the dimension stays.

if i delete the wall, and replace it (replace geometry) the dimension vanishes.

Ive altered a sketchUP import inside the family using the scale tool (alter), and reloaded the family, and successfully updated the Related Hosts. It seems that Revit thinks what youve done is replace geometry, because you replaced the DWG link? Thats what id guess, but i dont know the specifics of it.

I imported a geodesic dome and make a curtain wall out of it. I can scale it, but i havent tried replacing the dome with another export from SU yet...

gordie_v
2007-05-03, 07:10 PM
Here is what the help file says about importing a skechup file But you canot link a file in a family

Revit Architecture offers 2 ways to import designs from SketchUp:

Import the SKP file. Revit Architecture can import an SKP file that was produced using SketchUp. (Click File menuImport/LinkCAD Formats. Select the SKP file to import. See Importing SketchUp Files.)
This approach avoids the need to export to DWG. However, it also prevents you from linking to the SketchUp design. (When you import the SKP file, the Link option is not available.) As a result, if you update the design in SketchUp, you cannot easily update the corresponding design in Revit Architecture. Furthermore, because SketchUp is a faceted modeler, an imported 3D design will consist of faceted forms, which is not generally desirable nor easy to work with in Revit Architecture. Import a SKP file only if you are finished using SketchUp for design work (and do not plan to perform any further work in SketchUp) and the design can be manipulated in Revit Architecture in spite of its faceted forms.

Import or link a DWG file exported by SketchUp.Revit Architecture can import or link to a DWG file that was exported from SketchUp. This option provides more flexibility and functionality in Revit Architecture. When you link to the DWG, you can update the design in Revit Architecture after refining it in SketchUp. This is the recommended workflow. For more information about using DWG files from SketchUp, see Large-Scale Massing Studies in SketchUp.

In order for Revit Architecture to understand the exported geometry as a mass object, link the file to a Mass Family component. Revit Architecture then treats the geometry as a mass, allowing the faces of the mass component to be selected and associated to Revit host elements. Furthermore, the relationship between imported mass geometry is maintained if the SketchUp file is modified, exported, and reloaded in the Revit project.

nbower
2007-05-24, 08:16 PM
I have also been playing around with the SketchUp import. I have no problems importing the .skp directly into a mass family. The problem I have is that when I try to place a floor by face it does not recognize any of the faces i.e. I can't click on them. Curtain systems, walls, and roofs work just fine. Has anyone else run into this? I am running Revit Architecture 2008 and I have not tried this in Revit Building 9.1. If it doesn't work in 2008 it kinda defeats the purpose of me doing it.