PDA

View Full Version : File export for NavisWorks JetStream?

ron.sanpedro
2007-05-03, 09:41 PM
Anyone working with a contractor who is using JetStream? Are you exporting 3D DWG or 3D DWF? Or perhaps something more esoteric like ACAS SAT or an IAI IFC? If there are choices, what are the strengths & weaknesses?

Thanks,
Gordon

dtownsend
2007-05-04, 01:40 AM
I'd perfer to get a DWG out of what you listed, but I'd really perfer a NWF or NWD!

DWFs have an odd orgin in Navisworks for some reason.

IFCs files load VERY slow and often times have odd stuff going on in them - especially from Revit.

I have never used SAT files.

VRML files seem to work okay in Navisworks as well.

DWGs are typically the best out of what you have listed. They load good, and colors typically come in. Plus we can open it in Autocad and change the X,Y if needed.

If you were working with us I'd perfer a RVT file so I could export it to an NWD file (Navisworks Document).

ron.sanpedro
2007-05-04, 03:56 PM
If you were working with us I'd perfer a RVT file so I could export it to an NWD file (Navisworks Document).

Ah, I didn't realize that JetStream could read an RVT directly. Since we may also have a copy of JetStream soon, I suspect we will do as you suggest, and convert the Revit file directly to NWD.

Thanks,
Gordon

dtownsend
2007-05-05, 07:21 PM
Jetstream can't read an RVT directly (sorry if I made it sounds like that). Navisworks has an External Command via the Revit API that will export an RVT file to an .NWC (Navisworks Cache File).

So basically if you have Navisworks(I think you will need publisher) on your machine you can opt to install the exporter for many different programs like Revit, AutoCAD, etc.. Then in the program you can choose to export the file you have opened to a Navisworks Cache File (.NWC).

You will learn when you start using Navisworks about the different file formats (.NWC, .NWF and .NWD).

.NWC (Navisworks Cache File) - This is like a source file that is typically created when exporting another file format to Navisworks.

.NWF (Navisworks File) - When you edit any Type of navisworks file and then save it out you will save it to a .NWF. It will still be dependant on the source file (.NWC). It just stores the changes made - ie. colors, materials, origin, etc.

.NWD (Navisworks Document File) - This is basically a published file. If you ever share a navisworks file outside your network (if you store your Navisworks Files on the network) or outside the office you should publish it to an NWD file. This is the final product - you can control if this file can be edited and re saved and even put a time limit on it and append material files along with it.

The different files were a little confusing for us at first, but now it is no big deal.

---

Navisworks can read a DWG directly, but you can also use the Naviworks exporter in AutoCAD (Command nwcout) and export to an NWC file. With revit it has to be exported to an NWC from Revit.

Ah, I didn't realize that JetStream could read an RVT directly. Since we may also have a copy of JetStream soon, I suspect we will do as you suggest, and convert the Revit file directly to NWD.

Thanks,
Gordon

steve.perkio
2008-02-29, 02:36 AM
We have been posting both the .cad files and the .nwc file to speed up our combined coordination efforts (it saves the rendering time that your pc or laptop would have to do to create the .nwc).

Perk

stelthorst
2008-02-29, 06:55 AM
Personally I like receiving .nwc or .nwd format files. I can bring them into my .nwf file with no trouble and I don't have the hassle of converting file formats.

Just my 2c.

lhandler
2008-02-29, 02:41 PM
We require submission of:

Native file (DWG, RVT, etc.)
NWC

If sending the native file isn't possible, send an NWC. It is much easier to work with. However, make sure you have the conversation about origin (x,y,z) so that things line up.

shkuv
2008-02-29, 05:47 PM
How do you specify the coordinates in Revit, and how do you make sure the coordinates in Revit will export to an NWC successfully?

For instance, I have done that architectural design in Revit Architecture and will be putting my design into Navisworks. I will also be inserting the MEP's done by subcontractors into Navisworks. I need to establish a common origin so everything lines up properly.

If sending the native file isn't possible, send an NWC. It is much easier to work with. However, make sure you have the conversation about origin (x,y,z) so that things line up.

yongkukim
2008-04-29, 04:43 PM
Has anyone tried to get a Revit Architecture 2009 file into the free Autodesk Navis Freedom 2009? I installed both but can not find any documentation online and have been unsuccessful getting Revit into NW Freedom.

amixam
2008-04-29, 06:52 PM
Revit only exports .NWC files and Freedom requires .NWD. However you can use 3D DWF.

david.kingham
2008-04-29, 10:11 PM
Open the nwc in NavisWorks and publish to a nwd then you can open it in freedom