PDA

View Full Version : Underlay

bgauthier
2007-05-04, 01:01 PM
Hi everyone. I'm drawing my basement walls of a 2 storeys high building. When I call for my underlay to see Level 1, it shows Level 2. I really don't understand. Thanks

SkiSouth
2007-05-04, 01:50 PM
do you have the underlay set to plan or reflected ceiling plan?

dbaldacchino
2007-05-04, 02:36 PM
You might want to read this thread (all the way to the bottom!)

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=46718

bgauthier
2007-05-04, 04:28 PM
Thanks David. I thing I understood most of it. In other words, if I can't see it the way it is, there is no way I'll see it (as an underlay)

kpaxton
2007-05-04, 04:57 PM
Thanks David. I thing I understood most of it. In other words, if I can't see it the way it is, there is no way I'll see it (as an underlay)bgauthier - Are you intending the showing of your Underlay Planes for viewing purposes, or just for working purposes (aligning, creating, etc)? I just finished a project and used this feature extensively without much error.

I did however, find a correlation between Plan Regions and Underlays. I have in my plan a couple of Plan Regions to claify some areas. These were causing some strange behavior in what was and wasn't being shown when the Underlay was turned on. As it turns out, if I deleted the Plan Regions, everying appeared just fine. Wierd.

Kyle

bgauthier
2007-05-04, 05:41 PM
It's for working purpose. I have no plan regions on my drawing. It is such a simple project but it has to align perfectly. It really looks like it's not showing the first level (right above) and jumping to the second level. But from what I see, it shows the FLOOR pattern of level 2. So there must be some kind of a relationship.

kpaxton
2007-05-04, 06:00 PM
Wow... umm.. not sure.. I just created a simple project to test this out and i'm functioning fine. I would check (and maybe post) your settings for your View Range of your Foundation plan - and your first floor plan. Make sure your TOP range isn't extending past the range of this view (meaning NOT unlimited) and see if that helps. If it is... it might be 'seeing' way up there and it shouldn't.

TIP: I like to create 2 'working sections' that i can just move and fly around on my plans at will. These assist me in making sure things like the walls and foundations and such align, etc. You don't always have to work in plan! ;)

Kyle

dbaldacchino
2007-05-04, 06:19 PM
It's all about the location of your levels. Underlays show what's visible between a set of levels, beginning with the level you set and ending with what's above (and if there's none above, it will show everything else); there's no cut plane involved, which is confusing to users. And also, what's visible depends on whether you set the underlay to a reflected ceiling plan or a floor plan.

I personally don't like this concept much....I would prefer if an underlay was a selection of plan views as set up in the project browser, similar to when you take a drawing on vellum and overlay it on another drawing. Seems this approach would be a lot more versatile, intuitive and useful.

bgauthier
2007-05-04, 06:40 PM
Way to go. Thanks to you David and Kyle. Now it's clear how it reacts according to the view range. I got the result I'm looking for and, most important, the result I need.