PDA

View Full Version : Triangular Roof sloped in two directions

abink
2007-05-05, 10:31 PM
I just can't figure out how to slope a triangular roof in two directions [please see attached picture]. The picture on the left shows one edge of the roof horizontal/parallel to the floor, but I need that one to slope as well, as shown on the right picture.

I've tried 'Define Slope' and 'Slope Arrows' and can't seem to find the correct approach. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Axel

s.messing
2007-05-05, 11:42 PM
I just can't figure out how to slope a triangular roof in two directions [please see attached picture]. The picture on the left shows one edge of the roof horizontal/parallel to the floor, but I need that one to slope as well, as shown on the right picture.

I've tried 'Define Slope' and 'Slope Arrows' and can't seem to find the correct approach. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Axel
After you make the roof by footprint in the shape you want, select the roof. Once the roof is selected, you should see a new set of tools in the options bar at the top to the right of edit. They say:
Modify sub elements
Draw points
Draw split lines
Pick supports

These new tools in 2008 should allow you to make just about any angled roof (or floor) you want. Did I miss your question? If I did, I apologize. Let me know and I will try again.

HTH,
Stephen

whittendesigns
2007-05-06, 12:02 AM
There's a way to do it with one slope arrow, but I usually try two since I don't know exactly how the one slope arrow works. I just tried quickly and couldn't get it quite right. I kept getting a flat spot in the back. I think Scott Davis posted this a few months back how to do it. I'm assuming you have 9.1 since you have it in your signature line.

I'll look for the post and see if I can find it.

What's the pitch of the gable end?

I agree, the new roof tools make it easy. If you have 2008 make sure your roof has no "defines slope" then select the roof and these tools show up. I looked for awhile to find them.

snurresprett9
2007-05-06, 09:30 AM
I'm sorry to tell you this, but the 'modify sub-elements tool' in Revit is broken. It cant be used for this situation unfortunately. Read this thread : http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=59915

whittendesigns
2007-05-06, 01:09 PM
I used the draw points command and it seemed to work good. I haven't had time to look at the modify subelements issue you have. Too bad we can't save backwards.

muttlieb
2007-05-06, 04:36 PM
I used the draw points command and it seemed to work good. I haven't had time to look at the modify subelements issue you have. Too bad we can't save backwards.
The problem when using the modify sub-elements tool on a roof like this is that the thickness of the structural layers do not retain their original, defined thickness. What happens is the fascia thickness remains the overall thickness of the roof structure, but the individual layers of the structure adjust based on the slope of the roof. Irusun offered a workaround to the problem HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=694224#post694224)

snurresprett9
2007-05-06, 04:40 PM
The problem when using the modify sub-elements tool on a roof like this is that the thickness of the structural layers do not retain their original, defined thickness. What happens is the fascia thickness remains the overall thickness of the roof structure, but the individual layers of the structure adjust based on the slope of the roof. Irusun offered a workaround to the problem HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=694224#post694224)

Exactly! It makes me think it's computer geeks that are making this program and not people with knowledge about buildings.

muttlieb
2007-05-06, 05:00 PM
Exactly! It makes me think it's computer geeks that are making this program and not people with knowledge about buildings.
The intent of my post was to illustrate the problem with using the tool in this scenario, and point the way to a workaround for the issue. There are still many great uses for the roof/slab shape editing tool. While the tool may not have been fully tested for every possible use, I do not think it warrants a personal attack on the knowledge of the developers.

whittendesigns
2007-05-06, 05:27 PM
Got it now. It does the same for points which you probably already know.

ws
2007-05-06, 05:45 PM
The programmers do their best and certainly know enough about buildings to spot this as an issue - unless I misunderstand, it was listed in the 'Known Issues' pdf released with RA2008, and since they've gone to the trouble of pointing it out, presumably will be fixed.

It says:
Shape Edited Slabs
• Slabs or Roofs with curved sketch lines cannot be shape edited
• Metal deck may be represented incorrectly in cut views.
• Slab or Roof thickness is measured from the vertical projection of the sloped face, not perpendicular.

dhurtubise
2007-05-07, 06:10 AM
When something doesnt work EXACTLY like i think it should i keep saying myself that i could still go back to AutoCAD...it takes a few milliseconds to move on.
If you have issue there's a wishlist forum for that. If you ever work with any other socall BIM package you would know that the Revit team needs a big cheers.
So please keep you comments to Revit issues an not personnal grief.
Thanks

abink
2007-05-07, 08:49 PM
Stephen, whittendesigns, muttlieb,

thanks a lot for your help! The little detail that roofs may not have defined slopes for the new features to show up will save me a lot of valuable time.

I am currently working on RA2008 on one project and still on 9.1 on another project that's about done, so I would still be interested in Scott Davis' post on this issue if you could find it in the meantime. I'll look out for it as well.

Thanks,
Axel

whittendesigns
2007-05-07, 11:33 PM
hehe sorry, it was this post

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=51402&highlight=slope+arrow

but it just shows the theory behind what I was talking about, but looks like some math thinking might be in order if you try this.

If you can use the 2008 for this, it's a simple click of the mouse to finish it, but you will have the problems mentioned.