PDA

View Full Version : Topo fill color shows new under existing pad...

iru69
2007-05-05, 11:32 PM
I did a little forum searching but didn't find anything...

Can anyone explain why the topo fill under the pad is the material color while the rest of the topo fill is not?

The topo is existing and the pad is existing. The phase filter is set for an existing override of gray lines, so I would expect the fill under the pad to be gray as well. If I delete the pad, the fill returns to gray (and it's previous coverage of course).

Thanks.

s.messing
2007-05-05, 11:48 PM
I did a little forum searching but didn't find anything...

Can anyone explain why the topo fill under the pad is the material color while the rest of the topo fill is not?

The topo is existing and the pad is existing. The phase filter is set for an existing override of gray lines, so I would expect the fill under the pad to be gray as well. If I delete the pad, the fill returns to gray (and it's previous coverage of course).

Thanks.
Sounds like one of two things:
Site Settings
Phase Filters

This may be a silly question: Is the site selected when or unselected?
See my attached jpeg

HTH,
Stephen

iru69
2007-05-06, 12:11 AM
Sounds like one of two things:
Site Settings
Phase Filters

This may be a silly question: Is the site selected when or unselected?
See my attached jpeg

HTH,
Stephen
Thanks Stephen, but I'm not entirely sure what you're suggesting?

The illustration of the problem is pretty much out of the box from Revit's default template. I don't think I've noticed it before because it's rare that I leave my topo as existing in a project.

I've attached an example file.

s.messing
2007-05-06, 01:06 AM
Sorry I was not clear. I don't think I knew what I wanted to say myself. I think maybe this issue is not a problem but a reality of building. The topo in question is created in existing and not demolished. [But the topo is changed during the new phase as the pad is added] The pad is created in new and not demolished.

I selected each of the elements and checked/ changed their properties. Then I checked/ changed the view properties of the section. Now it all looks correct. The only thing I actually changed was Phase Filter: None

I think the issue was: View Properties... Phase Filter. Show Previous + New means that Revit has to distinguish between what existed before and what has been added. Because adding the pad changed the configuration of the topo underneath it, that topo now shows differently. Whether this is a bug or simply how Revit is meant to graphically represent, I am not sure (we'll have to call in the real experts).

This issue reminds me of columns joining to walls in different phases. It is something I have struggled with for quite some time and still don't feel completely comfortable with...

Anyway, let me know what you think. I will attach some jpegs, but this text explains what I did in my experiment.

Cheers,
Stephen

muttlieb
2007-05-06, 01:24 AM
Stephen is on the right track. It's because the topo under the pad is set to new construction phase. My guess is that you created the pad while in new construction phase and later changed it to existing, but did not change the phase of the surface created under the pad. If you set the phase of your site plan to existing and then create a pad, the new topo will also be set to existing phase and display as you'd expect - the overridden grey color.

iru69
2007-05-06, 01:42 AM
It's because the topo under the pad is set to new construction phase. My guess is that you created the pad while in new construction phase and later changed it to existing, but did not change the phase of the surface created under the pad.
Thanks Muttlieb, yes, I changed both the topo and the pad from new to existing. So, shouldn't the topo under the pad automatically change to existing as well, or is there some way to select the topo under the pad and change it to existing.

I just tried creating the topo and the pad from scratch as existing elements (i.e. I didn't change them from new to existing) in a view with the phase set to new. Still the same problem.

So, then I recreated everything from scratch as existing elements in a view with the phase set to existing, and then changed the view to new, and the problem doesn't exist.

Edit: Okay, I just saw muttliebs attached image, and figured out how to select the topo underneath and change it's phase. It was not intuitive! (for me at least)

This kind of seems like a bug to me, but at least it's figured out.

Thanks!

muttlieb
2007-05-06, 02:11 AM
So, shouldn't the topo under the pad automatically change to existing as well, or is there some way to select the topo under the pad and change it to existing.
It does seem like the phase of the topo should stay linked to the phase of the pad, or at least have an option to link them, but that does not appear to be the case. The easiest way for me to select the pad topo is to hover over the edges of the topo above the cut made by the pad, in a section view.

I just tried creating the topo and the pad from scratch as existing elements (i.e. I didn't change them from new to existing) in a view with the phase set to new. Still the same problem.

This kind of seems like a bug to me, but at least it's figured out.
That seems like a bug to me also. It seems like the topo should be created in the same phase the pad is created in, even if your creating an existing pad in a view set to new phase.