PDA

View Full Version : Where did the dark walls come from?

jason.74650
2007-05-06, 10:00 PM
Hello I have been away from Revit for awhile. I just install Revit Architecture, opened an older project and in the 3D camera views the walls are black. Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

patricks
2007-05-06, 10:12 PM
It's because the wall surface pattern is a drafting pattern, of which the pattern scale is determined by its size on paper, not in real life. Try clicking on the view's crop region, then click the button up top to change the size. Choose to keep the same aspect ratio but make the size much bigger, and the walls should lighten up.

iru69
2007-05-06, 10:16 PM
Also, more info here:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=59001

jason.74650
2007-05-06, 11:54 PM
Thanks. I actually did do a search but i guess i did not search enough. So I did get it to work but had to change my crop region to 20 feet by 8 feet. Seems extreme. After reading the link however no one answered why this did not happen in 9.1 but it happens in 2008?

Thanks for the help!

Jason

iru69
2007-05-07, 12:13 AM
After reading the link however no one answered why this did not happen in 9.1 but it happens in 2008?
Actually it does happen in 9.1 with many drafting patterns, but maybe not as much with the sand and concrete pattern?

It's really kind of nonsensical to use drafting patterns for model surfaces anyway, but the problem is that there aren't "sand" or "concrete" model pattern out of the box (the two or so drafting patterns that are commonly used for model surfaces). Even if there were, it's kind of dicey because the "sand" and "concrete" patterns are entirely symbolic (e.g. how dense should they be?), unlike most model patterns that have an actual measurement, e.g. 6" siding or 12" tile.

Joef
2007-05-07, 12:44 AM
But the unanswered question remains: what changed to create a problem where previously there was no problem. A trip to Emerald City and an audience with "support" seems in order.

iru69
2007-05-07, 01:07 AM
My suggestion would be to create a support request and let them know how it's affecting your project.

Arnel Aguel
2007-05-07, 02:37 AM
Actually this issue has always been there since the early version you will see this specially if the thin line mode is on and you are zooming out your view.

Firmso
2007-05-07, 03:00 AM
Hello I have been away from Revit for awhile. I just install Revit Architecture, opened an older project and in the 3D camera views the walls are black. Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

Check Graphics overrides under Setting>Phases. Maker sure Materials are set to blank.
I hope this helps.

kpaxton
2007-05-07, 03:25 PM
My first question to you would be - which pattern is now assigned to your wall?

Well, all these are good responses! Usually enlarging the view 'window' does the trick for me. If it doesn't, I would like to point out some other solutions in the meantime. (We understand that it certainly would be better to have a scalable Model pattern as opposed to a Drafting pattern, but in the meantime...)

Let's assume you're using the Concrete Drafting pattern on your wall (this can apply to any pattern you wish). If the pattern is still coming out too small after enlarging the window, then we need to tackle the pattern itself. Rather than mess with the original definition, let's create another at a larger scale.

Go to Settings > Fill Pattern > New (the default is set to a Drafting Pattern)
Click Custom > then Import
Browse to your Program files/RAC 2008/Data directory.
Select "Revit.pat"
Scroll down and select the Concrete pattern.
Rename the pattern with "Concrete-LG" (for example)
In the Import Scale area - type a larger number, say 2 or 3 here. (You can review the picture above.)
Click OK
You now have a larger scaled pattern using the one definition. (this works good for earth too.
For adding a new Model pattern, There are a few additional steps:

Browse to your Program files/RAC 2008/Data directory.
Select "Revit.pat" and open with Notepad.
Scroll down and find the Concrete pattern. (Note that this is a "Drafting Pattern". - *Concrete, Cut concrete
;%TYPE=DRAFTING)
Select and Copy all of the titles and numbers relating to this pattern. Hit return and make some room for the new pattern.
Paste this text.
Select the DRAFTING text and type MODEL in its place. (;%TYPE=MODEL)
Save the revit.pat file.
In Revit, go to Settings > Fill Pattern > New (make sure the radio button at the bottom is set to a Model)
Click Custom > then Import (if there are no definitions in the window).
Now you can see the Concrete definition in the window!!
Type in a large Import Scale number to get the pattern to show up in the preview window. (I had to type in 24 to get a reasonable view).
This number may vary with the pattern definition.

Give the pattern a new, identifiable name.
Click OK.
Go to your wall and Edit it's material definition and reassign the surface material pattern to be your new pattern.
NOTE: This may NOT always work with every pattern. I suggest trying this method out in a small test project. Once you get your pattern working and to the scale you like, use Transfer Project standards and apply it to your Project and your Template.

Kyle

jason.74650
2007-05-07, 05:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your great advice. Enlarging the window did work and yes i was using the Sand Pattern. Kyle, i will also try changing the scale of the pattern as i dont want to always change the size of the window when using these textures.

Thanks again

Jason

Joef
2007-05-07, 05:58 PM
The question still persists: What changed between 9.1 and 08 to cause the problem? This file was apparently OK in 9.1 and now the view shows up black. Something changed to cause this. That is why it should be sent to support.