PDA

View Full Version : Quick plant cover

PeterJ
2003-07-03, 11:23 AM
Doing a rendering and need some quick generic planting? Instead of fooling around too much with the accurender plant editor try the following trick....

Make a masked transparency material with a rough leaf pattern on it usng either a map of your own or the attached leaf.tif, so that you have a material like my leaf in the attached user materials library (if it comes through the download and upload process you will need to point your render materials paths to wherever you have saved it to see what I mean). This is achiebed by creating a new material with the map attached to it, the material shold be opaque, but the map can be set usng the masking options to colour masking and then select 255 255 255 or pick from the white background and then make sure the transparency check box is ticked.

All of the above will give you a material where the green bits show and the remainder shows the model behind. I then create families that use this material or work with inplace families to fill in beds and so on.

It is useful for things like ivy trailing on a wall, or for a quick flavour rendering without all site options worked up. If you have some detail you can place accurender plants in the foreground and then fill beyond with this material to get some depth and colour.

If you check the sample render you will see it throws a shadow too.

Good luck with it

Pete

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-03, 11:34 AM
Do you have an image of something that you've used it on. That would be nice to see. Good tip, thanks!

PeterJ
2003-07-03, 03:49 PM
I'll sort something out for you, Steve

PeterJ
2003-07-16, 08:46 AM
Steve

Attached is the base render I did for the work that I took over to Architectural Studio discussed in another thread.

I just needed a 'lump' of foliage and hey presto the trick worked, in this example its very very basic but you get my intention.

P

gregcashen
2003-07-16, 03:11 PM
I like the giant frostie freezes in the background!

PeterJ
2003-07-16, 03:27 PM
I'll send you one when you get the tongue implant!

A failed experiment that I forgot to remove.