PDA

View Full Version : Material Takeoff -triple counting

sjsl
2007-05-07, 07:34 PM
We are playing around with the Material Takeoff tool and keep finding the same wall type counted multiple times in our multi-category schedule even though there is only one instance of the wall.
Has anyone come across this or is even using MTO?

Update: "material" means every component not just the wall. DUHHHH!

ita
2007-05-08, 01:17 PM
Yup!! Very very frustrating! Also when an object in a wall is deleted the infill is included in the wall material schedule and is counted making it very difficult to determine which is parent wall and which is infill!

sjsl
2007-05-08, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I love that!

tonyisenhoff
2007-05-08, 02:24 PM
Ditto for any object that has "Structure" (Wall, floor, ceiling...)

ita
2007-05-08, 02:51 PM
Absolutely - I was a bit wall focused after trying to unravel another wall infill issue recently.

I still maintain that Revit has the demolition workflow 'model' very muddled. A deleted item should not be replaced immediately by parent infill it should remain open (and the MTO remains silent) until the infill option is selected ( . . whatever it is- door, window, roof light, floor trap etc) - then the MTO reflects only that new object.

If it is simply infill, then the infill material can be selected (say by dialogue box because often the parent material is no longer available in for instance restoration work) and only then can the MTO reflect the change and separately notes only that object.

And where a new object is inserted into the "void" or part of the "void" (created by the removed object) the parent "holds" the object until an infill material is selected and inserted into the parent where there is remaining demolition void and again denotes it in the MTO as such.

That is my experience of the workflow process in standard construction, but Revit does not follow that process - hence the confusion in the MTO.