PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Line Foundations

steve.70285
2004-07-21, 05:32 PM
Anyone know the simplest way to show foundations as hidden linework in elevations?

I would like to do one of two things:

• Create a subcategory in my "Walls" for foundation, or
• Link my foundation walls to the "Structural Foundation" category

But in either case I cannot figure out how to link a system object, such as a wall, to a user defined object style. Am I missing something?

Obviously by doing what I would like to do I can change my line patterns and be done. So far the closest I've gotten is to use the crop region and not show the foundation at all or, use the line work tool which is in my opinion "a waste of time".

Can anyone tell me what they've found to be successful?

brentcarlson892079
2004-07-21, 06:11 PM
Here is how I do it.

In the Elevation view: Turn off the Topo so you can see the foundation.
Then with the Linework tool - Select everything you want to show.
Then turn the topo back on.... and the linework stays

bclarch
2004-07-21, 06:22 PM
There have been previous discussions on this issue including, I believe, a wishlist item requesting the automation of this. My approch is to trace the foundation outlines in the elevations using dashed detail lines. Lock the lines to the model so that they automatically update with any changes. Then cover everything below grade in the elevation with a white filled region. Use invisible lines for the filled region boundry. Send the filled region to the back to hide the model but allow the detail lines to show. Even though it sounds somewhat complicated, it is actually very quick to do.

Scott D Davis
2004-07-21, 06:36 PM
I know foundations vary, but I still think there needs to be a dedicated tool. We've got just about every other building component available: roofs, walls, floors, windows, doors, columns, etc. Why no foundations?

aaronrumple
2004-07-21, 08:03 PM
My system is to duplicate a view and set the level and view range so it slices only a sliver at the footing foundation level.

I then turn off everything but the footings (walls/floors) and then apply an override to those object styles so the display as a dashed line. I also set the view properties to wireframe.

Then I place this view on top of the floor plan view on the sheet with no title.

If I add things to the foundation plan I don't have to use the linework tool again.

steve.70285
2004-07-21, 11:00 PM
You guy's gave me a great idea...and half of it I'm using already.

I always set up foundations on their own phase; before new construction so when I draw my foundation plan or insert 3-d views I can set the view to the foundation phase and I don't have to play with a bunch of settings.

Within phases you can set "Graphic Overrides". By setting the graphic overrides in the existing phase to hidden line and then setting the elevation views to "show all"...it works perfect!..without any linework!!!

Not quite the way it was intended but...I'll take it!

...now I wish I could add more "Graphic Overrides".

aaronrumple
2004-07-22, 01:07 PM
You don't need phases for graphic overrides. They are right there in Visibility Graphics. You can change line style, halftone and change detail level.

aaronrumple
2004-07-22, 01:24 PM
Attached is an exaple of using stacked views to create dashed foundation plans on floor plans using graphioc overrides.

steve.70285
2004-07-22, 07:47 PM
Thanks Aaron, I look further into stacking later but I'm not trying to change the appearance of a plan view. Its the elevation that I want only the foundation to show up as hidden and as far as I can tell there is no graphic override that will allow me to select one set of walls without changing all of them. Thats why I'm trying to seperate my foundation wall from my regular walls though phasing. Am I missing something?

bgoldman
2007-03-30, 04:34 PM
This works so long as the view is set to wireframe....I think that's what Aaron was referring to.

dhurtubise
2007-03-31, 04:04 PM
I also use view overlay for elevation and plan view