PDA

View Full Version : Link File Import Elevation

Firmso
2007-05-09, 04:13 AM
Hi, is there a way to control the Elevation (Level) of a linked dwg?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I asked this because I have a existing topographic surface I want to edit (graded region) in my project using Imported Instances. The problem is when I click Finish Surface the tip of the newly created surface is 500 feet above the building. So basically I needed to know how to fix this problem. I was hoping there was a way to bring the imported dwg to the properly ground elevation.
Sorry, I should have included this detailed explanation in the initial post.

Firmso
2007-05-23, 10:13 PM
Help! PLEase?

Thanks in advance.

Willard
2007-05-24, 02:12 AM
I am pretty sure you can move the imported dwg. down. Look at it in section. BUT, I wouldn't recommend you relocate an import:

For a more accurate solution, relocate your entire project UP to the actual elevation. Tools\Relocate Project your project up into the air by the same 500 feet. This assumes you realistic finish floor elevation is actually something like +500'. Is it? If the imported civil topo lines/points are all at 500', labelled as 500-510-520-540 etc.. then relocate your project up in the air the same distance. Do this in section.

Note: Your PROJECT Levels will still read Level 1 = 0'-0" Level 2 = +10'-0" etc. If you want a level to report the fact that your project is now really at the correct +500 elevation, then you need to make a new Level type, and then toggle it's type parameter ELEVATION BASE to SHARED. A SHARED Level will show it's actual elevation (like +503' or whatever.) You can still have another PROJECT Level 1 = 0'-0" at the same elevation.

Is this confusing enough? I think you will get it once you experiment with relocating your project to a "real" elevation above sea level.

Any other strategies? Is this bad model practice? I would enjoy any comments if this method could be better.

Hope that helps. ;)

Steve_Stafford
2007-05-24, 02:21 AM
Assuming the site file is representing true elevation then you can just use the move command to put the building at the correct elevation, the one you intend to build it on. Now take a look at the shared coordinate/shared positioning part of the help files to learn how to use this position to display this in the building file itself later as well as the rotation if any relative to True and Project North. I wrote a blog article discussing this concept in the past and I believe a couple others have as well. Here's a link to MINE (http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2006/06/true-elevation-and-position.html).