PDA

View Full Version : View Rotation - Opposite?

jtl
2007-05-09, 01:48 PM
When I rotate my view, it rotates in the opposite direction from where I reference it. I was able to get it to work by measuring the rotation angle and entering a negative rotation angle, but this seems quirky. Am I missing something?

Chirag Mistry
2007-05-09, 01:53 PM
David B. explains this very well. See the attached image.

Scott D Davis
2007-05-09, 02:30 PM
Think of it this way: you are rotating the viewport, not the model elements inside of it. If you want your model to move counter-clockwise, you need to rotate the viewport clockwise. When rotating, you will see a ghosted display of the viewport. The viewport will "snap back" (as described in the previous post) so use the ghosted display of the top edge of the viewport as an alignment guide. This top line should be aligned with what your want to be at the top of the model after rotation.

aaronrumple
2007-05-09, 06:40 PM
When I rotate my view, it rotates in the opposite direction from where I reference it. I was able to get it to work by measuring the rotation angle and entering a negative rotation angle, but this seems quirky. Am I missing something?

...however in you're defense - it is just plain goofy when compared to every other rotate in the cadd market (including the Revit rotate an plan north rotate.)

patricks
2007-05-09, 06:57 PM
If you think about it for awhile, though, it does make sense. Say you want your plan west to be towards the top of your sheet. You have to take the top of the crop region (which is like a camera frame) and turn it to the left so that it's on the west side of your building. To make the view rotate clockwise, you turn the camera counter-clockwise.

Think of a video camera pointing at a subject, and you're looking at the image from the video camera on a remote monitor. If you rotate the camera to the left side (counter-clockwise), the image on the screen is going to rotate to the right (clockwise).

Likewise, think of you arm stretched out in front of you, with an object to your left that you want to move to be in front of you. You want to move the object to the right to be in front of you, but you first have to reach to the left to pick up the object before you can move it to the right to be in front of you.

The Plan/True north rotation works normally because in that case you're rotating actual objects, sites, etc. But with views it appears to work backwards, but it is actually working just as it should.

jtl
2007-05-10, 07:11 PM
All wonderful explanations. Thanks.

It will still require getting used to, though...

yanyan77
2009-11-04, 03:24 PM
how can i rotate back?
i suppose to rotate my viewport 90 degree, but after i save to center, i find it is not vertical. how can i rotate the view port to the original position.