PDA

View Full Version : Glass Stair (again!)

zeemaam
2007-05-09, 03:49 PM
I am having some issues with a glass stair (see attached image) where the corner panels do not look correct. I have the ‘Justification’ of baluster panels set to ‘Center’, and break pattern at ‘Each Segment End’. However, the glass panel do not seem to spread correct and as result there is some over laps between the glass panel and another panel in another segment.

Any help is appreciated - Z

bgauthier
2007-05-09, 06:20 PM
Did you make this stair as a continuous one or you have different runs? you should attach the revit file

zeemaam
2007-05-09, 06:40 PM
Tha stair skecth is continuous but it is made of different segments at the landing. See attached RVT file.
Thanks for your help - Z

bgauthier
2007-05-09, 07:39 PM
I'm not sure 100% about it, but it might have to do with the fact that you don't have any Start/Center/End post in the baluster section. Maybe if you try to put one even if it's as thin as you can imagine.

twiceroadsfool
2007-05-09, 08:59 PM
The only way ive ever been able to get Glass Panel Balusters behave properly int hat situation, is to have completely different Baluster types (glass-40", glass-38.5", etc...) and then use different railings for each "run.". I found it necessary because each panel was really going to be an overall length divided by a number, and they didnt all come out the same. I was able to get it pretty close using the above method, however tedious it may have been...

zeemaam
2007-05-09, 09:13 PM
Thank you all for the ideas - I'll give it a try and see how it works then share the results with you.
Z

SCShell
2007-05-10, 02:10 PM
Hey there,

I have never had any luck doing glass railings....so, I have always used simple curtain walls for this. then add the hand rails.
I place the curtain wall in plan where it belongs, then cut sections parallel to the stringers and landings, edit each profile, add curtain grids for all of the butt jointed glass, trim my corners, add my top and bottom trim metals (which are different from each other), set my glazing panel type/color....and voila!

Just another way to do it. Not better, not worse.
Good luck
Steve

gwnelson
2007-05-10, 02:22 PM
Excellent solution, Steve

zeemaam
2007-05-10, 04:20 PM
Thanks all for the input
Steven, So I guess your solution is a hybrid made of simple curtain walls. I also tried to make an 'in-place' family for the stair and then try to 'actually' model the glass panels inside the family... very painful I know and tedious.

So last night I thought of breaking up the stair into the following components:
1) Inserted individual railings at each stair segment and it ONLY includes the 'Glass Panels' as balustrades. This really allowed me to adjust the glass panel patterns and their justification.

2) Inserted one continues railing for the handrail.

3) Inserted a new railing that contains the ‘Brackets’. This is actually a copy of the individual railings I created in step (1) but instead of having the ‘Glass Panels’ as balustrade I have ‘Brackets’.

The rvt file is attached – any feedback is really appreciated.
Zaki