PDA

View Full Version : Line Styles managment bug?

ron.sanpedro
2007-05-09, 10:27 PM
In the attached image, you see the list of Line Styles available in the Line Styles dialog. And you see that the Lines drop down lists a number of bogus ones that I would like to delete, that don't show up in the dialog. Is this a bug, or some "feature" I don't understand?

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks,
Gordon

dhurtubise
2007-05-10, 07:57 AM
Can they be imported CAD files ?

HawkeyNut
2007-05-10, 01:22 PM
There are certain system line types that are hard-coded into Revit. 'Axis of Rotation' for example is your axis line (blue by default) used in revolved shapes in sketch mode. They are not available for sketching in regular drawing mode. Other system line types may follow the same rule.

I wish I could get rid of the Thin, Medium, Wide line types since our office has created new standards and people are confused about which lines not to use. Unfortunately they too, are hard-coded into Revit.

s.messing
2007-05-10, 02:05 PM
There are certain system line types that are hard-coded into Revit. 'Axis of Rotation' for example is your axis line (blue by default) used in revolved shapes in sketch mode. They are not available for sketching in regular drawing mode. Other system line types may follow the same rule.

I wish I could get rid of the Thin, Medium, Wide line types since our office has created new standards and people are confused about which lines not to use. Unfortunately they too, are hard-coded into Revit.
All of the lines that you are showing are hard-coded.

The hard-coded linestyles are completely unchangeable. Many of them, including Thin, Medium, and Wide are really annoying and go against everything that we try to do as an office with standards. The solution our office came up with has two parts:
ALL CAPS. Any new linestyle that we create is ALL CAPS.
Also, so that our standard linestyles come up 1st in the list, we put their thickness as a number at the beginning. For example, we might have:
.0080 MEDIUM
.0080 MEDIUM Dashed 1/16"
.0080 MEDIUM Halftone
.0200 BOLD
Etc.

HTH,
Stephen

aaronrumple
2007-05-10, 02:20 PM
All of the lines that you are showing are hard-coded.

The hard-coded linestyles are completely unchangeable. Many of them, including Thin, Medium, and Wide are really annoying and go against everything that we try to do as an office with standards. The solution our office came up with has two parts:
ALL CAPS. Any new linestyle that we create is ALL CAPS.

ooooooo..... hate the all cap.
Our pen setup is cross cultural.

Pen 01 (Hairline) 0.003mm
Pen 02 (6x0) 0.13mm
Pen 03 (4x0) 0.18mm
etc.

This way we have a name for the Revit users. The rapidograph pen name for us old farts. And the mm for the AutoCAD generation

For non-continuous linetypes, the linetype name is just appended to the above.

patricks
2007-05-10, 02:38 PM
For solid lines, we pretty much always just use line type names that match their line weight.

So in the pull-down box we have these types:

<Beyond>
<Centerline>
<Demolished>
<Hidden>
<Overhead>....

and so on and so forth.

cphubb
2007-05-10, 03:56 PM
Attached are the line styles out of the default template in RA08. I do not see any of those styles in either the dialog or type selector.

Could they be in a family template or added by another user

patricks
2007-05-10, 04:34 PM
Try checking Object Styles > Detail Items and see if any of those styles are listed there.

cphubb
2007-05-10, 05:20 PM
Try checking Object Styles > Detail Items and see if any of those styles are listed there.

Nope. Still just what I consider the standard. My question about the Family editor still seems like the probable cause. Look at the Design Bar behind his image. I cannot figure out which family type is being edited though.

That would explain why the types are in the pulldown but not the Line styles. Family vs. Project??