PDA

View Full Version : Best Site Plan Practice

formarch.70565
2007-05-10, 08:18 PM
I'm about to start a site plan thats pretty large (50 Acres) that will eventually have around 60 to 80 buildings some of which are just repeated. I would like to eventually link these to the site plan so my questions comes with site elements within each building. The site is sloping and each building will require integrated site ramps and stairs and I'm wondering if these should be done within the building file or site plan file.

I would like to start out on the right foot so if anybody has a suggestion I would be most grateful.

Max Lloyd
2007-05-10, 10:41 PM
Hi there.

I would definitely do any site work in the site project file, and simply link the buildings in. I would then link back the site file to the individual building files.

Regards,

Max

Tobie
2007-05-11, 04:26 AM
I can echo that having modeled 200 Acres.

studiodd
2007-05-11, 06:54 AM
I can echo that having modeled 200 Acres.

Tobie,

I am interested in the performance of revit when working with a site plan that big with linked building models. I am going to make a holiday resort with about 60 buildings (most of them are the same).

Can you show me a screen dump of a 3d model thet big (3d view) and sent some info about performance?

Ivan

Tobie
2007-05-11, 08:04 AM
Ivan,
I will link a few more buildings to my site and see what happens. I will post some images next week.
Have a good weekend.
Cheers,

studiodd
2007-05-11, 10:34 AM
Thank you Tobie

formarch.70565
2007-05-11, 11:45 AM
Thanks,

I'll do the tutorial on linked files and make the site elements on the siteplan.

MIke

Tobie
2007-05-15, 11:30 PM
Hi Ivan.

Just a few screen shots. The site file is 19MB. If you want to get hold of it to test linking your buildings into it, I can try and upload it to a site for you to download. The site is 64Ha (160 acre) and the contours are at 1m intervals.

Performance was not bad. I did the complete contract documentation set in this file just because I had the site cropped and never felt as if it was slowing the process down. It is only a small residential project though and it would be a good test to see how the site plan performs wit
h 10-50 buildings linked into it.

papurajx
2007-05-16, 06:16 AM
Tobie,

I am interested in the performance of revit when working with a site plan that big with linked building models. I am going to make a holiday resort with about 60 buildings (most of them are the same).

Can you show me a screen dump of a 3d model thet big (3d view) and sent some info about performance?

Ivan

This was done using the massing tools.....model is linked to the site.

Tobie
2007-05-16, 06:22 AM
Xavier.

Looks great.

Did you do all the buildings as one file or are they all separate? Do you separate them when it comes to construction documentation stage?

papurajx
2007-05-16, 07:34 AM
Hi Tobie

All the building blocks are in one file but they are 'simple mass family elements' (some of them are groups) loaded into the project. The loaded families i.e. the building blocks are sliced with levels and the faces converted to Wall, floor, roof etc.The topography is another file into which the building model is linked. This model is obviously for generating 3D views, plans, and area schedule etc.

When it comes to construction document stage, each building or a group of buildings will be developed as individual projects and linked back to the site.

Tobie
2007-05-16, 11:18 PM
Xavier,

Where is the project going to be?

papurajx
2007-05-17, 02:30 AM
HaiNan Province, China.