PDA

View Full Version : Wall by face on mass not working right

dbaldacchino
2007-05-14, 03:59 PM
Hi all,

Take a look at this file. I have a simple mass made up of an extrusion in plan and then a void on a vertical plane to carve out the shape I want. Then I tried to create a wall by face and it did not drape itself over the wall the way one would expect it to. Any ideas?

I know how to model the wall the way I want it (in-place void to cut a curved wall) but I didn't think the above method wouldn't work.

lev.lipkin
2007-05-14, 04:27 PM
You are right: as edit elevation profile is not implemented for arc walls, resulting shape of pick face wall when face is cylindrical does not follow the shape of the face of the mass.

If you would create roof by mass face (at the top of the mass), the attachment of the wall top to the roof would create desired shape (you might need to extend roof to avoid "towers" at the end of the wall).

dbaldacchino
2007-05-14, 04:32 PM
Thanks Lev. What you described is another good solution to this situation. In my case I opted to carve the wall with an in-place void. I know that for curved walls editing the elevation profile was not possible, but I didn't think this would hinder walls by face, since after all, you can get rotated walls with that technique, which is something that cannot be done with the regular wall tool. I thought walls by face were governed by another set of rules. Thanks for clarifying!