PDA

View Full Version : Planes appear one sided in 3ds Max 8?

maco_mania
2007-05-15, 10:55 AM
when i make a plane in 3dsmax 8 i cant view the back of it, its invisible so if i rotated to the back i cant see nothing wats up with that? how can i make it viewable from both sides??

stusic
2007-05-15, 01:06 PM
Have you already assigned a material to it? If so, it may be that the material is one-sided, in effect, making the plane appear one-sided. By clicking the two-sided option in the material box, you'll make it opaque from both sides.

If not, can you feed us a bit more info on the problem? :)

maco_mania
2007-05-15, 03:48 PM
nope i didnt assign a material to it and even if i doo with the 2 sided option selected it is still invisible. i havent touched anything on max, no settings nothing. I just create a plane and when i rotate to view behind it, it just goes invisible :S in all viewports, i have no clue whats wrong with it??

stusic
2007-05-15, 04:16 PM
It sounds like it may be a display/graphics card problem. An under-performing graphics card can lead to display issues, such as incorrectly displaying an object that's too close to the view source, or displaying a model that is too complex. If this is could be the case, I'd try updating the drivers for your graphics card and checking your display mode (D3D, OpenGL, etc.).

If you've got a decent card, we'll try something else. ;)

P.S.:
I know it sounds kinda obvious, but what happens when you simply 'Reset' Max? Same problem?

maco_mania
2007-05-16, 07:55 AM
yep same problem, ok i think that its normal to do it, i forgot to mention that i create the planes in Top view and Left View and when i look at it in perspective view then the back becomes invisible... ? thats normal right?

dellis
2007-05-16, 02:11 PM
Thats the way the plane object works. The bottom side is supposed to be invisable. If you don't need the parametric functionality of the object you can always right click it and change it to an editable poly which will allow you to see both sides. Or you could applya material to it and have double sided checked on. Or you could add a shell modifier.

I would go the editable poly route though!

stusic
2007-05-16, 02:41 PM
Thats the way the plane object works. The bottom side is supposed to be invisable. If you don't need the parametric functionality of the object you can always right click it and change it to an editable poly which will allow you to see both sides. Or you could applya material to it and have double sided checked on. Or you could add a shell modifier.

I would go the editable poly route though!Huh, I've never noticed that before; interesting...

aaronrumple
2007-05-16, 03:01 PM
3DS has an option to force the display to show two sides. This of course requires more memory. Note that there is a separate option for render two sides. If you set the display to force two sides - and then render without the render two sides option - your planes with flipped normals will not render.

maco_mania
2007-05-16, 11:55 PM
thanks for all the help guys.

dellis
2007-05-17, 05:43 AM
No worries....