PDA

View Full Version : Metal decking w/concrete topping

bgauthier
2007-05-15, 06:45 PM
Does anyone have a family that shows the concrete topping that molds the steel deck or we have to create a family?

Thanks

cphubb
2007-05-15, 07:01 PM
Revit Structure is needed to create this family as noted. If you know someone that has RS they can set the floor properties then you can see it in Revit Building

Note it is only visible in Section/Elevation

bgauthier
2007-05-15, 07:29 PM
No one I know has RS. Not very practical. The more we pay, the more we loose our tools.

Zoltan
2007-05-15, 07:46 PM
It is really easy to show in detailing with the steel deck detail component as a repeating detail. Then use the Edit Cut Profile tool to edit the boundary between the faces that represent the steel deck and the concrete layers. The edit cut profile can be copied to all of the deck components.

cphubb
2007-05-15, 07:58 PM
Attached are some screen shots showing the difference between RB and RS for the same file and the same floor.

Zoltan, Doing that can quickly impact the speed and stability of your model. Use it sparingly. The structural does not seem to impact the speed of hte model too much since it only shows in section.

Also the DC method creates problems where 2 users can use different DC and have coordination problems. Better to build this into the floor

bgauthier
would you like me to create a slab that has this and send you a Revit file? you can copy and paste the floors to the correct position.

bgauthier
2007-05-15, 08:09 PM
It would be most appreciated. I simply hate the way it looks now. Thank you very much

ron.sanpedro
2007-05-15, 08:24 PM
It is really easy to show in detailing with the steel deck detail component as a repeating detail. Then use the Edit Cut Profile tool to edit the boundary between the faces that represent the steel deck and the concrete layers. The edit cut profile can be copied to all of the deck components.

Besides the performance issues, the detail component approach results in a series of non coordinated views, where changing the direction of the decking in the model requires manual, error prone, non BIM coordination of views. If I wanted to work like that, I wouyld use AutoCAD LT and save a few grand a seat.

What needs to happen is EVERYONE who actually wants this needs to use this form
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...3112&id=1109794
to tell the Factory that as Architects, we MUST HAVE this tool. Add in shaped beam ends and the rest. As long as we settle, or use work-arounds, or whatever, we are part of the problem. We have to tell the Factory what we actually need, only then can we reasonably expect them to deliver

Best,
Gordon

Adam Mac
2007-05-15, 11:15 PM
Attached are some screen shots showing the difference between RB and RS for the same file and the same floor.Hey Chris - great pics mate! :)

gordolake
2007-05-16, 02:26 AM
What needs to happen is EVERYONE who actually wants this needs to use this form
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...3112&id=1109794
to tell the Factory that as Architects, we MUST HAVE this tool. Add in shaped beam ends and the rest. As long as we settle, or use work-arounds, or whatever, we are part of the problem. We have to tell the Factory what we actually need, only then can we reasonably expect them to deliver

Yes Gordon, I strongly agree. Could you please check this link as it doesn't appear to be working.

Thanks

Steve

cphubb
2007-05-16, 04:17 PM
Here you go. Let me know how these work for you

brethomp
2007-05-16, 04:54 PM
Feature Request Link (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794)
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

bgauthier
2007-05-17, 02:42 PM
Thanks Chris. I was out of the office yesterday. It seems to work great.

dfriesen
2007-05-17, 04:16 PM
Here you go. Let me know how these work for youThe decking doesn't display in 3d, huh? Otherwise it's very nice, and definitely something that we should have in RA.

cphubb
2007-05-17, 05:23 PM
No the deck profiles are only in section. You could attach a profile to the underside but it really brings the model to a crawl

Mr Spot
2007-05-18, 12:39 AM
Hmm. First of all thanks for posting that Chris. I am going to try and implement floors and roofs with embedded profiles into our template file. What i would like to do is modify some of the roof deck profiles to sheeting profiles we use. Such as custom orb.

Which i did fine and it showed in the project when i updated it. However, it doesn't break the profile at the ends and instead the profile either stops short of the end of the roof or extends past it. Also a solid line shows running through the centre of the profile.

Is this because i used Revit Architecture to edit the structural deck profile? Or am I missing something about structural components. For instance there seem to be a number of parameters in your profile that extend past the actual profile. Is there a reason to including these?

Cheers.

EDIT: Don't worry, silly me should try doing things first. Works fine now :)

cphubb
2007-05-18, 03:37 AM
Chris,
Those are the standard profiles included with RS 4. Remember if you erase the floors any new floor created will not have the profile attached as RB only makes floors that are not 'Structural' and you will need someone with RS to make the floor 'Structural'

trent59822
2007-05-18, 03:26 PM
.. Add in shaped beam ends ...

Actually, this is in 2008. You can use the opening by face on a structural element and do a custom end to beams. Not sure if works for bar joists. But for wood and steel i-beams it works.

Mr Spot
2007-05-22, 10:49 PM
Chris,
Those are the standard profiles included with RS 4. Remember if you erase the floors any new floor created will not have the profile attached as RB only makes floors that are not 'Structural' and you will need someone with RS to make the floor 'Structural'
Really... that's not very useful to me then... LOL bugger.

Doesn't really matter as it doesn't appear you can add profiles to roofs as you can a floor in Revit Structure. Is this correct?

cphubb
2007-05-23, 02:33 AM
yes you can add these to a roof, but only in RS

Mr Spot
2007-05-23, 07:44 AM
Time to download Revit Structure :)

petervanko
2007-05-23, 01:33 PM
Soooooooo...I have yet to hear if anyone successfully got Revit to recognize the decking direction?

andrew.brister
2007-11-07, 04:47 PM
yes you can add these to a roof, but only in RS

I have RS08 but have yet to discover how to add metal deck in this fassion to the roof sandwich (mmm... sandwiches, I'm hungry - is it almost lunch?) Is there something in the roof family I need to toggle, click, change, add that will allow me to do this? I would hate to use a floor slab family for the roof deck.

greg.mcdowell
2007-11-08, 12:06 AM
to throw my hat into the ring on this...

I don't have a problem with the way that Revit Architecture treats this as, generally, the decking is hidden from view anyway. If it is exposed I use a simple fill pattern to indicate the decking (this in an RCP of course).

Worrying over decking in building and wall sections is counter-productive. The contractor should be looking at the structural drawings for this information so other than putt

andrew.brister
2007-11-08, 02:26 PM
I agree, Greg. However, my thought on this is simple. We typically show the deck for coordination, and RB should have some kind of display setting that would allow us to show the deck with the click of a button, check box, or toggle as in RS, but without adding or taking away to the RS features of structural calculations. Granted creating a fill pattern is not time consuming, it's just this, there are other things we can spend our time on. I know it's minimal, but hey, every little thing counts when deadlines are quickly approaching.

cphubb
2007-11-09, 04:57 PM
Well the debate is not really the about the pattern in the deck, because RS does not show that anyway. This is really about the ability to see the flutes in sections and details and the ability to change the direction of the flutes so our details look correct. It seems pretty easy to just turn on the switch in RAC to allow us that ability and not to have to rely on engineers, detail components or filled regions. I would also like this to be applied to the cut and coping of beams as well.

DO-PRE
2009-01-28, 06:06 PM
Hi, Can someone tell me why the floor test file family chris uploaded cannot be recreated in revit Arch?

Thanks,

Dan

cphubb
2009-01-28, 06:30 PM
Ask Autodesk. They programmed it this way

DO-PRE
2009-01-28, 06:38 PM
I just found a work around.....when you copy and paste the family into revit arch edit the family, while in edit mode sketch the floor/roof in your model that you want to take on the RS floor family, click finish; then click edit again and delete the floor you copied and pasted.