PDA

View Full Version : Modify Keynote Tag?

jtl
2007-05-16, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to modify the keynote tag to have an optional note/text feature?
I would like to add a simple text label to the keynote (to say, below, beyond, 6", etc.). It does not appear possible with the existing keynote tag.

Ideas?

nicholesap
2008-06-25, 06:32 PM
I've been trying to figure that one out myself, but to no avail. I thought if I nested a symbol into my tag I could link a "Modifier" parameter of the object to the label of the nested symbol, but so far I've only had a resounding PHPT!

kathy71046
2008-07-22, 08:47 AM
I'd like to know this as well, since I'm trying to figure the best way to notate my drawing set.

In fact, the ideal for me would be to insert a Tag to show the element's description, with the keynote below.

I'd settle for a multi tag if I could figure out how to get the type comments into a label.

Essentially I want one line to identify the object I am calling out, whether its a wall, slab, door, whatever, and another to give a description of it.

Any suggestions out there other than an annotation family?

I want to be able to have the notes in place, and if say my painted concrete panel wall at the front of my building changes thickness, every wall that falls under that particular family will update.

sbrown
2008-07-22, 12:38 PM
You can add text, then with a visibility parameter have it turned on or off by type. I've done this for Typ. Right and Typ. Left. this lets me per tag show the text Typ. on the right side of the tag or the left. You could do it with other notes. However I don't think you can use a "label". I haven't tried nesting a generic annotation into the keynote tag but you could try that.

greg.mcdowell
2008-07-22, 08:48 PM
Haven't tried this yet but what if we added a field for an Instance Comment? You could tag an object and add the descriptive text not throught the tag but through the object... or am I talking crazy?

I'll try it in a bit.

no - doesn't work - parameter isn't available from the keynote family

kathy71046
2008-07-23, 12:45 AM
Shame you cant do 2 types of keynote in one tag, that would work.

Looks like I'll have to do text notes no matter how much I don't want to.

ejburrell67787
2008-07-23, 09:12 AM
Shame you cant do 2 types of keynote in one tag, that would work.

Looks like I'll have to do text notes no matter how much I don't want to.I thought you enjoyed insanity? :lol:

ejburrell67787
2008-07-23, 09:49 AM
You can add text, then with a visibility parameter have it turned on or off by type. I've done this for Typ. Right and Typ. Left. this lets me per tag show the text Typ. on the right side of the tag or the left. You could do it with other notes. However I don't think you can use a "label". I haven't tried nesting a generic annotation into the keynote tag but you could try that.
Hi Scott, How do you then edit that text?

Presumably if you nest a generic (label) annotation in the keynote family, it can be filled in with a shared parameter by instance...?

E

Edit: actually there doesn't seem to be any way to access shared parameters within the keynote family. :banghead:

greg.mcdowell
2008-07-23, 06:09 PM
I'm experimenting with using a Muti-Category Tag that pulls the Comment (Instance) parameter instead of Text. I'm thinking that this is just as good if not better than text as any place you tag the same object you'll get the sam note. It's working well so far.

kathy71046
2008-07-24, 07:21 AM
I thought you enjoyed insanity? :lol:
:p

I do enjoy insanity..I don't enjoy text based drawing notes ;)

I ended up making a muti-category tag, and when combined with some shared parameters it's now working perfectly (so far)

I think the understanding of how to manipulate the shared parameters correctly has pushed me up into "the creamy middle" phase of Revit understanding.

sbrown
2008-07-24, 02:08 PM
you don't edit the text, you just create as many diff. text notes as you need and control them with visibility parameters. Creating types for each so you just select which you want from the pull down. Is it elegant NO. We need to file some requests on this one.

chodosh
2008-07-24, 04:35 PM
How many different lines of description are you after? Here's where my head is at with this: have you tired editing the keynote text file to add in a few extra lines to choose from? May seem like extra work, but perhaps easier to manage than on/off parameters and a bunch of text since it would co-locate the changes within one database. And you can customize this to do any number of things.

HTH,
LC

ejburrell67787
2008-07-24, 04:49 PM
you don't edit the text, you just create as many diff. text notes as you need and control them with visibility parameters. Creating types for each so you just select which you want from the pull down. Is it elegant NO. We need to file some requests on this one.Oh OK, I've done that before also. There is the advantage with that of being able to have short keynotes and then schedule them including long descriptions.

ejburrell67787
2008-07-24, 04:55 PM
How many different lines of description are you after? Here's where my head is at with this: have you tired editing the keynote text file to add in a few extra lines to choose from? May seem like extra work, but perhaps easier to manage than on/off parameters and a bunch of text since it would co-locate the changes within one database. And you can customize this to do any number of things.

HTH,
LC
It's not the number of lines of text or how they are laid out, that can be done in the keynote text file or by reformatting the keynote family as you have shared. The keynote is still by element / material type in each case and there isn't an option for instance based text. E.G. picking up the instance comments of the keynoted element and placing it below the type description. We currently do this by simply adding text below the keynote on the view - but this way it doesn't have an intelligent relationship with the element tagged.

chodosh
2008-07-24, 05:07 PM
Gotcha. I thought as much, but for those that are cool with Keynoting being the type-based behavior, I like the method of going under the hood and creating your own custom file, situation-dependent, of course. The multi-category instance-based solution sounds like it is the right way to go using shared params, but is it still keynoting at this point or intelligent annotations? I like it, and wish it came OOTB worked out for notating objects so the data held in the object after the fact, picking up on a general field.

ejburrell67787
2008-07-25, 08:33 AM
Gotcha. I thought as much, but for those that are cool with Keynoting being the type-based behavior, I like the method of going under the hood and creating your own custom file, situation-dependent, of course. The multi-category instance-based solution sounds like it is the right way to go using shared params, but is it still keynoting at this point or intelligent annotations? I like it, and wish it came OOTB worked out for notating objects so the data held in the object after the fact, picking up on a general field.Multi-category instance based tags are not keynotes and are not linked to the properties of the element you tag - so you have to select which family+type you use each time. Since this is a 100% manual process I wouldn't consider it intelligent annotating really, just anotations that are consistent project wide.