PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading drom 9.1 to 2008 memory issues??

eldad
2007-05-17, 07:01 AM
wonder if anyone came across this:
we have a 200meg Revit 9.1 file, trying to open it in 2008 it crashes with a message saying I don't have enough memory.
I have 4 gig of RAM, 3GB switch enabled, and a page file that is set to system manage (about 7-8 gig), doing this with the resource dialogue open, Revit uses about 3 gig of RAM and the page file only gets up to about 2 gig.
This does not look like a memory issue to me.
how would I explain this to the directors?
how much memory is enough for Revit? a terrabite? 2? I wonder...
I have to say that with this release of Revit the reliability gone down hill, this is not good for business :(

dhurtubise
2007-05-17, 07:20 AM
Did you try auditing the file before opening ?

eldad
2007-05-17, 07:29 AM
yes I have tried it.

dhurtubise
2007-05-17, 07:32 AM
Keep working in 9.1 and send it to support.
There is some serious issue with callout when migrating from 9.1 to 2008. So unless you think 2008 will dramatically change your project for the better you should stay in 9.1.
But start new project in 2008 ;-)

eldad
2007-05-17, 07:38 AM
I am aware of it,

the project won't be upgraded, I needed to pull out some details that's why I came across this issue.
my new project in 2008 is not much better in terms of stability.
maybe Autodesk should stop this madness with file formats? the only reason this is happening is so they can force you to upgrade, maybe they think that their strong hold of market share will last forever? they are playing the same games like Microsoft...

dhurtubise
2007-05-17, 07:44 AM
I am aware of it,

the project won't be upgraded, I needed to pull out some details that's why I came across this issue.
my new project in 2008 is not much better in terms of stability.
maybe Autodesk should stop this madness with file formats? the only reason this is happening is so they can force you to upgrade, maybe they think that their strong hold of market share will last forever? they are playing the same games like Microsoft...

2008 stability are associated with OpenGL. Turn it off make sure you have Overlay plane on and you are good to go.
As for the file format, i would assume you are a former AutoCAD users right :-). People that have been using Max never complained about file format. It's the way Revit is and i really hope it will never change. They improve functionnality it's not entirely based on having you upgraded. And you always have the choice to stick to the previous version.
It's not a game it's call evolution.
Like i said, no onw forces you to go to 2008.

For your issue, save out the detail view in 9.1 and just open this one in 2008.

eldad
2007-05-20, 11:53 PM
As for the file format, i would assume you are a former AutoCAD users right :-). People that have been using Max never complained about file format. It's the way Revit is and i really hope it will never change. They improve functionnality it's not entirely based on having you upgraded. And you always have the choice to stick to the previous version.
It's not a game it's call evolution.
Like i said, no onw forces you to 2008.
first, I have been using Revit for over 3 years now (or more) Been using Auto cad but forgot most of it :)
1. Max projects will rarely go as long a s a Revit project. we are running projects here for almost 2 years using Revit, you telling me I'm not force to upgrade, but that not true, off course we are forced to upgrade, we subscribe and are promised a better file format and stability and more important, functions that we really need, would you upgrade??

2. you assume that with every upgrade, file format is getting better, faster, smaller and more stable. I don't really think so, just check out this thread:
HTTP://forums.Augie.com/show thread.Phip?t=59118&goto=new post (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=59118&goto=newpost)

3. you are right, this is not a game, rather a calculated business decision, and Evolution is getting better and more refined, not going backwards, you won't see Homo Sapiens going back up the trees :)

greg.mcdowell
2007-05-21, 04:03 PM
Late joining but I thought it worth mentioning that you would be better off NOT letting Windows manage the size of your pagefile... pick a size (there are various places online with suggestions, many differing, but I would recommend the advice at Arstechnica.com) and use it for both the Min and Max to keep Windows from playing with it...

I don't think this is what is causing your problems but it's important none-the-less

Good luck!