PDA

View Full Version : Course medium and fine

larjia
2007-05-18, 09:16 AM
I found:
1) For a pipe, Revit will show it as single lines in course&medium view, and two lines with fine view.
2) For a duct, Revit will show it as single lines in course view, but two lines with medium&fine view.
What's the consideration behind this?

Michael.c
2007-05-22, 03:45 AM
Not sure of the answer to that, but on the same subject, I find the whole concept of showing two lines (or even three if the centreline is to be shown) to represent a 25mm dia copper pipe for example, on a drawing that will be plotted out at 1:100 rather strange. To illustrate the problem further, showing both lines of a 50mm dia pipe, with each line having a line thickness of 0.5mm, will look like one extreemly thick black solid line, 1.0mm wide. Perhaps a little heavy?

ahefner
2007-05-22, 09:28 PM
The Course, Medium, and Fine properties are controlled within the Family. Simply click on the "Visibility" button from the option bar and select which lines should show at which resolution level.

jason.martin
2007-05-24, 02:57 AM
The concept behind having duct show single line at course views and "two line" at course and fine views, while pipe shows single line at course and medium views and "two line" at fine views is based on the our "investigation" that in a typical mechanical plan (1:100 or 1:1/8") duct is "generally" shown as two line and pipe is "generally" shown as single line.

We wanted to provide a method to show both duct and pipe in a way that is "typical" (this doesn't mean that everyone shows it this way) for common floor plans. If you are creating a "more detailed" plan/section/elevation you can change the detail level and show the pipes as "two line" so that they represent the actual size rather than a "single line" version of the pipes and fittings.

Michael.c
2007-05-24, 11:13 PM
The concept behind having duct show single line at course views and "two line" at course and fine views, while pipe shows single line at course and medium views and "two line" at fine views is based on the our "investigation" that in a typical mechanical plan (1:100 or 1:1/8") duct is "generally" shown as two line and pipe is "generally" shown as single line.

We wanted to provide a method to show both duct and pipe in a way that is "typical" (this doesn't mean that everyone shows it this way) for common floor plans. If you are creating a "more detailed" plan/section/elevation you can change the detail level and show the pipes as "two line" so that they represent the actual size rather than a "single line" version of the pipes and fittings.

Ok, thanks Jason, but unless I am overlooking something, it seems to be a question of "all or nothing". In a typical 1:100 floor plan we WANT to show larger pipes, eg 300 dia in three lines,(sides and centreline) but obviously we DON'T want to show the smaller pipes in the same way when a single line would be sufficient for a pipe that size. (I guess traditionally this is something that might be referred to as 'draftsmans licence')
So the question is, how can I show a large pipe as three lines and a small pipe as just one line, in the same view?

kyle.bernhardt
2007-05-25, 02:17 PM
Michael,
What you're looking for is the "Pipe by Size" functionality that currently exists in AutoCAD MEP. We have not yet implemented such functionality in Revit MEP. This is on our Radar Sceen, but something that needs to be weighed against the many other requirements we need to meet.

HTH,
Kyle B