PDA

View Full Version : Pesky Wall Profile Joins

cwilrycx.109927
2007-05-18, 12:10 PM
Good day to everyone, if this question has already been posed and answered please feel free to direct me there.

The question is, can it be widely expected that when editing a wall's profile, and then asking it to join to other walls which may or may not be edit in profile as well, that maintaining joins will be a hazardous expectation?

What we are struggling with is walls that reach various levels, and that those walls have arched opening, and and other openings cut out in them. They are joined to other walls exclusively in perpendicular fashion, so no weird angulation. Yet they consistently break, lose joinery, and wreak havoc on the model.

I am open to any "best practices" anyone may know of.

RAC2008 on Windows XP

Mike Sealander
2007-05-18, 12:22 PM
You might want to try NOT joining those walls creating problems. Select Disallow Join and use the align tool, for instance, to get walls to align without actually joining. You may also have luck by selecting Disallow Join and then using the Join tool. This worked for me in some cases.

cwilrycx.109927
2007-05-18, 12:26 PM
Now that I think on it, The folks over at subscription basically mentioned the same course of action, but it had limited success. How do you select the "disallow join" function?

rhys
2007-05-18, 01:42 PM
Select the wall and Right Click the blue button

truevis
2007-07-20, 02:55 PM
Select the wall and Right Click the blue buttonHowever, such is not an option if it's a wall-by-face.:(

Oh, how I'm wishing for an option to have walls just be by themselves and not try to mate willy-nilly with other walls causing all kinds of problems.

nnguyen
2007-07-20, 07:43 PM
Good day to everyone, if this question has already been posed and answered please feel free to direct me there.

The question is, can it be widely expected that when editing a wall's profile, and then asking it to join to other walls which may or may not be edit in profile as well, that maintaining joins will be a hazardous expectation?

What we are struggling with is walls that reach various levels, and that those walls have arched opening, and and other openings cut out in them. They are joined to other walls exclusively in perpendicular fashion, so no weird angulation. Yet they consistently break, lose joinery, and wreak havoc on the model.

I am open to any "best practices" anyone may know of.

RAC2008 on Windows XP

Yes very hazardous. we have a project in our office that the exterior walls were created with some edit profile for openings. the wall joins were giving them major problems. so now they are in the process of redrawing or removing the profiles of the offending walls. my suggestion to them is to either create an opening using the opening tool on your design bar and pick the one you want, or creating an opening family and placing it in the wall. I would opt for creating the family. There should be an OOTB family called opening and you can adjust it to what you want.

twiceroadsfool
2007-07-20, 07:56 PM
I will often times split the wall down the face, so that the Edited profile section is part of a different "wall" than the end condition where it is joining with other walls.

Something else ive gotten in the habit of doing, is placing reference planes where the vertical lines are (assuming theyre vertical) when im editing a walls profile. It might just be luck, but ive found when the edited profile is drawn on reference planes, they "seem" less prone to shifting around after the fact.