PDA

View Full Version : Model text area?

patricks
2007-05-18, 12:50 PM
I would like to find out the square footage of my building signage, which is made up of model text. I don't suppose there is any easy way of figuring that out is there? I tried to do a filled region on top of the letters but I can't pick the edges of the letters for the region sketch lines.

c-hawk
2007-05-18, 01:30 PM
I guess you could do it this way, but simply eyeball the extents of the model text for the current project. For future needs, you should be able to create an generic model family that contains model text w/ parameters associated to it's length and height. These parameters could be scheduled and calulated to achieve your needs.

cdetore
2007-05-18, 07:55 PM
This is a little far fetched too, but...

You could create an in place family, use the model text tool to place your text, finish, and then use the area tool (pick lines, do not apply area rules) to create an area on each of the letters.

Curvilinear forms are a pain because you need to pick each line segment on the curve.

You could add up the totals or name each letter and create an area schedule to give you the individual and total areas of the letters.

I tried it quickly and it seems to work.

CD

patricks
2007-05-19, 05:53 PM
Yeah I was needing the actual square footage of each individual letter, then a total for all the letters.

I ended up exporting my elevation views to AutoCAD, then linking the CAD file back into Revit, and then doing filled regions by picking the segments of the letters, and reading the area of the filled regions (thank goodness for that added functionality!). A bit of a pain in the rear but I got the info I needed.