PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Room Tags ?

tc3dcad60731
2007-05-18, 02:41 PM
Hello All -

I want to place a room tag in my room that will not only show the Name, Number, and Sq Ft BUT also show the dimensions. Is this possible? It will show perimeter so one would think that it could generate room dims also!

The sole purpose is so that when the room changes the dims for the room (currently text) will also update.

Thanks in advance!

twiceroadsfool
2007-05-18, 03:11 PM
I dont believe what youre trying to achieve is possible in a simplistic fashion. The perimeter is possible becuase the room element can identify what objects are bounding it, but as those objects may not always arrange themselves in a rectilinear fashion, i would imagine it would be difficult to compile a method of picking "dimensions."

In my opinion, it is one of those times where you simply have to alter methodology a little bit. For instance, i have talked at nauseum with project managers here about not wanting text thast says "see xx/xxx view for this detail" because it wont stay live and coordinated as unintelligent text.

Instead, i convinced them that where they want that note, to use a callout referencing a view. Its not a fool proof method (i dont like reference other view anyway, i wish it wasnt there, lol), but AT LEAST the drawing and viwe number stays live.

In your example, i would simply run dim strings across the rooms instead of using the text. Its obviously not graphically what youre after, but at least then when you adjust a wall, the dimension will reflect such a change.

Its not ideal, but thats my 2 cents...

tc3dcad60731
2007-05-18, 06:19 PM
I was afraid that might be the answer. Thanks for the response and the tip!