PDA

View Full Version : Levels - adjusting

ws
2007-05-22, 09:15 AM
Now that I have finally got around to doing a real project in Revit 2008, inevitably all the training disappears from your mind - temporarily I hope - and mild panic occasionally sets in ;)

Thus today I have been trying to modify the upper levels on a simple 4 storey house, and finding that the levels I thought were locked lower down are moving as I change the upper ones.

Now I'm assuming this is to do with the locks on the levels and so I've tried going top to bottom, bottom to top, locking and unlocking and eventually got there, but wondered is there a 'preferred order' or somesuch to adjusting levels so that you can be sure the ones elsewhere aren't shifting as you move say, the roof level up and down?

dhurtubise
2007-05-22, 09:41 AM
Try an elevation, you probably locked the dimension from one to another. The lock you are seeing are to tell you that they are lock/align so if you move one they all will move.

ws
2007-05-22, 10:01 AM
thanks, but I think I see what's happening.

It's hard to think down to the level of a new user - they do the dumbest things :Oops: ;)

I've tried this on a new, clean project and what I think I am doing is just highlighting either level and changing the temporary dimension that appears... but it's the level that I chose that is being moved.

Obviously too logical for me :roll: ;)

cheers,

dhurtubise
2007-05-22, 10:26 AM
You were right about the ... new user level.

Revit, unlike AutoCAD, use the dimension to modify the elements. So you always pick the element itself then adjust the temporary dimension to modify it.

ws
2007-05-22, 10:40 AM
thanks, I see what you are getting at.

I've never used Autocad, but I'll remember that if I ever do ;)

dhurtubise
2007-05-22, 10:51 AM
Dont even bother ;-)

rjcrowther
2007-05-22, 12:27 PM
I don't know if this helps but my method is:

Set the levels as early as I can when starting something new. This is nearly always the first thing I do.
Dimension the levels in the south elevation (always the south elevation) I like routine and habit as it cuts down on mistakes
Lock the dimensions.

The relationship between levels is now set and I have to do something very definite if they are to change - it guards against accidents and my stupidity.

Rob

dhurtubise
2007-05-22, 12:30 PM
As long as you keep being consistent you're gonna be ok.
Try to put constraints always in the same view.

aaronrumple
2007-05-22, 01:17 PM
Note that if you are in a view without the hard dimensions, that the constraints will show up as a fake green dashed dimension line with the lock next to it. You can unlock or remove the constraint from this same view. To delete the constraint - select the green line and hit delete. This does not delete the dimension in the other view - just the constraint.

ws
2007-05-22, 01:29 PM
Ah, thanks Aaron, I wondered what the green dashed lines were for...

I've also just realised that the padlocks which appear beside a level when you click it are er, just for the symbol alignment.. not the level ;)

http://www.lakedistrict-architect.co.uk/Revit/lockslevels.gif