PDA

View Full Version : How to change the scale of a jpg file?

Joef
2007-05-23, 01:01 AM
A workflow that I use quite often in Vectorworks and AutoCAD is to bring in a PDF or a JPG file and change the scale of it so I can trace over it. Is there a way to do this in Revit that I do not know about?

Joe

Brian Myers
2007-05-23, 03:04 AM
Others will likely have a better solution, but you could create a Decal at a certain scale, create a view of it, and use that view as an underlay. You wouldn't be able to "snap" to it, but it could easily be made the correct scale.

Joef
2007-05-23, 03:14 AM
Is there a way to scale a decal in Revit? Numerically, not graphically?

Brian Myers
2007-05-23, 03:19 AM
Yes, if the original image is at a known scale or a part of that image is a known scale. Simply create an object that is exactly the same dimension as the original image/item you are scaling and scale the decal to it. If the decal was printed/created to the correct scale then attached to an object you know is at the correct scale... then the correct scale the decal will be (or at least within a tiny tolerance so small that it simply won't matter).

rookwood
2007-05-23, 03:33 AM
I create a new drafting view and import the file. Once imported simply select the document making certain you haven't pinned it. Once selected, you can grab the grips and 'pull' in any direction to increase or decrease the size. As an alternate, once selected, you can use the RESIZE tool to resize by graphical or numerical value.

If the document was imported at no scale, I use reference lines offset by some value and resize to this dimension as accurately as I can.

Quite simple and very effective.

LRaiz
2007-05-23, 03:40 AM
It sounds like Resize command should work nicely on your imported jpg.

Brian Myers
2007-05-23, 03:40 AM
Quite simple and very effective.

Same principle as mine (works along the same "known scale" lines) but more elegant depending on your needs. I knew someone else would have a solution. ;)

Joef
2007-05-23, 04:01 AM
Resize!! Thanks. I work in three different programs and it becomes a chore remembering the terms for identical operations in all of them. It's like switching languages. Thanks everyone!

Joe

Chirag Mistry
2007-05-23, 12:50 PM
I believe if you select the image and look at properties, you can type the height and width.

rookwood
2007-05-23, 04:20 PM
I believe if you select the image and look at properties, you can type the height and width.
You can resize this way. However, there are two issues: RESIZE and SCALE. Resize is very simple and can be acheived using several techniques. However, if you need to rescale, without a scaled import, it requires some trial and experimenting. Still simple enough.

snurresprett9
2007-05-23, 05:01 PM
Others will likely have a better solution, but you could create a Decal at a certain scale, create a view of it, and use that view as an underlay. You wouldn't be able to "snap" to it, but it could easily be made the correct scale.

Excuse me! I didnt think you could show decals unless rendering the view?!

Brian Myers
2007-05-23, 07:58 PM
Excuse me! I didnt think you could show decals unless rendering the view?!

Note to self: Never give advice unless you have Revit in front of you to try it..

I will promptly paste this on my head so I won't forget it and walk away to a corner. :shock: :roll:
You are indeed correct. That 1 oh '$h.. just wiped out my 723 attaboys. :?

max
2007-05-23, 10:16 PM
There was a thread on this way back. I can't find it, but here is how to do it.

Import the image, select it, then click on properties using a known width or height, say width under properties is 93' 4 5/256" and you know it should be 150'. you measure this distance on the image and it is 100' 4". use the following formular under width properties

=93' 4 5/256"*(175'/100' 4")

This will rescale it. I hope I understood what you asked. That was hars to put in to words.

max

Joef
2007-05-23, 11:58 PM
There was a thread on this way back. I can't find it, but here is how to do it.

Import the image, select it, then click on properties using a known width or height, say width under properties is 93' 4 5/256" and you know it should be 150'. you measure this distance on the image and it is 100' 4". use the following formular under width properties

=93' 4 5/256"*(175'/100' 4")

This will rescale it. I hope I understood what you asked. That was hars to put in to words.

maxNice tip to paste the calculation into the dialog box. I forget that Revit is smart that way. Thanks.

Joe

LRaiz
2007-05-24, 03:28 AM
Using Resize command is even simpler.

1. Select jpeg and pick Resize command in the toolbar
2a. If you know real world distance between two points on jpeg then make sure that radio buttons in option bar select Graphical as opposed to Numeric
2a.1 Pick two points on jpeg such that you know the desired distance between them
2a.2 Revit will display a temporary dimension showing current measurement of the distance
2a.3. Type in desired distance value and hit Enter. Revit will scale jpeg to appropriately.
2b If you do know the scale factor then instead of "Graphical" choose "Numeric" radio button in the option bar
2b.1 Then type-in scale factor (you can use formula) and pick a point of scale origin on the screen. BTW I think this case is buggy because Revit does not pick picked point stationary (at least in 9.0)

HTH

Joef
2007-05-24, 04:00 AM
Thanks Leonid. Often there will be a dimension on the jpg so all I have to do is pick the two points that define the dimension and type in that dimension. This is getting easier and easier.