PDA

View Full Version : Which template should I use for Repeating Details?

Dave F.
2007-05-23, 10:52 AM
Hi

I attempted to use Metric Detail Component line based.rft & Metric Detail Component.rft as suggested in the help. However when loaded, the family appears in the Detail Componant section. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks
Dave F.

rjcrowther
2007-05-23, 12:23 PM
Good stuff, your nearly there.

You now select repeating detail, make a new repeating detail and name it, and put your family in as the detail. You set the repeat distance in the type properties box as well.

It is the same process as a wall sweep, make the family, bring it in to you project, then assign it to the sweep.

The repeating detail can repeat vertically and horizontally - best the play around with the settings to work it out for yourself (not in the project you are working on..... just in case)

Sounds like your going well,
Rob

Dave F.
2007-05-23, 02:27 PM
Thanks for that. I think I really should have been able to work that out for myself.

In Metric Detail Component line based.rft there's a reference line & Dimension that appears to be permanently locked. Do you know the significance of these?

Thanks again
Dave F.

c-hawk
2007-05-23, 02:41 PM
This is due to the nature of the line-based template. The reference planes and dimension are the basis of being able to place a component created from this template via drawing a line. To place the component, you pick point A and then point B.

Dave F.
2007-05-23, 02:46 PM
This is due to the nature of the line-based template. The reference planes and dimension are the basis of being able to place a component created from this template via drawing a line. To place the component, you pick point A and then point B.

Thanks.
So I don't need to worry about the Length needing to be the same as my detail?

Cheers
Dave F.

patricks
2007-05-23, 05:51 PM
Thanks.
So I don't need to worry about the Length needing to be the same as my detail?

Cheers
Dave F.

You shouldn't use the line-based template for a repeating detail. The repeating detail itself is in essence line-based, but it is made of a repeating single detail.

Just use the regular detail component template, and then as was mentioned, create a new repeating detail in your project, and set the family to be the detail component family you just created.

Dave F.
2007-05-24, 08:09 AM
Got it - thanks to all.

Arnel Aguel
2007-05-25, 04:28 AM
Actually a line based template is almost the same concept as repeating detail by itself except that line based family is more versatile as it can do 3d repeating models and 2d details.

Regards,

Dave F.
2007-05-25, 08:11 AM
Actually a line based template is almost the same concept as repeating detail by itself except that line based family is more versatile as it can do 3d repeating models and 2d details.

Regards,

Please help me out. Where did you learn this? I've been through the help & see no info distinguishing the differences. Is there a tutorial on the web or am I missing something obvious?

Cheers
Dave F.

Arnel Aguel
2007-05-25, 10:58 AM
There is a nice tutorial from Beegee's Blog (http://revit-alize.blogspot.com/) on line based family.