PDA

View Full Version : Finish schedule, best methods?

pfschuyler
2007-05-23, 03:04 PM
Greetings,

I'm overall very happy with the Revit work flow, but there is one area where I'm a bit lost, Finish Schedules.

I'm tempted to use material tags on plans and elevations, that seems to be the ultimate parametric (and detailed) way to go about it, but it seems a bit finicky and time consuming to do it that way. The reason I say that is because you have to create a ton of wall types to really get the materials nailed for each and every room. I'm a bit skittish about messing with the walls when only want to deal with materials inside of rooms. I almost wish there was a way to go into an interior elevation and start drawing new materials on the walls, or to somehow refine finish materials inside of rooms irrespective of wall types. I guess I could always do a room finish schedule, but that's a bit lacking in detail for the kind of work I do.

I'd love to hear, how does everybody else go about it?

Paul S.

petervanko
2007-05-23, 03:15 PM
We generate finish schedules from room objects, not the walls that bound them.
Finish schedules can be managed several ways; make sure to search for schedule keys as these help you manage rooms by type rather than instance.

You instance is interesting in that you are wanting to tag the walls in elevation, and those tags to inform the schedule?

twiceroadsfool
2007-05-23, 03:24 PM
Greetings,

I'd love to hear, how does everybody else go about it?

Paul S.

Hi Paul!

There are a lot of methods out there for such tasks, depending on your needs. As we do manily commercial with with single finishes, we use the Room Finish Schedule as Peter suggested. This schedule uses text fields for the ROOM objects, to simply report the finishes.... This is obviously not an ideal situation for you if you have complex designs and finishes. It also does not pertain to the wall materials.

Another method to consider is to leave the finishes OFF the wall types in your project, and then to have a bunch of walls that are ONLY finishes. Its daunting, but this gives you the elevations you seek, and the capabilities to tag the materials in plan and/or elevation. This will also prevent you from disturbing the shells wall types, as youll be editing the finish wall types. It can make the modeling a bit more tedious, as youll have to keep the walls are together (locked, if you prefer), but its also great for take offs and scheduling.

BTW, you can go in to your elevations and use the Paint Tool, to alter the materials on sections of walls. I tend to not use it, becuase it doesnt actually schedule the difference. As far as i can tell, it id for rendering and/or elevation purposes only. In my humble opinion, if im going that far i might as well change the wall type there.

Good luck, and let us know how you end up proceeding!

sjsl
2007-05-23, 06:55 PM
We use Excel and put them in our Specs.