PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Section Heads

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-23, 04:10 PM
Back to this residential project that I've inherited...
I am encountering something I have not seen before in Revit. There are all these section heads (with no body or tail) that are invisible unless moused-over. If I right click on them, I do not have the option of "show annotation in view", so they must be hidden another way. This model has a whole lot of stuff that's been hidden, a lot of linework-<invisible> used and I am trying to figure out what I've got to work with by bringing everything back into view, but the section heads I can't figure out.
Any ideas?

Damo
2004-07-23, 06:12 PM
Sometimes you have to be quite precise in what you select in order to get the ‘Show annotation in view’. You might think the logical thing to do is hover over the section head until it highlights and then right click for the menu. This won’t work. You have to hover over the section line before the right click menu will give you that option.

Other thing you could look at.
Type ‘VP’ (without the quotes). Beside the VISIBILITY parameter, click ‘EDIT’, then click the Annotation tab. Are all the visibility options you require on?

J. Grouchy
2004-07-23, 06:20 PM
I've found it usually doesn't work to immediately right-click when hovering over a hidden annotation...so I always left-click it first to highlight it, then right-click in a blank area of the drawing. This always works for me. (same thing for 'hiding' an annotation)

Which brings me to one of my wishlist items. Wouldn't it be great to be able to select MULTIPLE annotations and then "hide" or "show" them...instead of one......at......a......time.......?

J. Grouchy
2004-07-23, 06:31 PM
One other thing you could do is select *everything* (which should also highlight the invisible annotations) and then filter everything else out...then deselect the annotations you are not trying to grab (shift key and select with mouse)...which should leave you with only the annotations you want. Then from there right-click on an empty area of the drawing ...voila!

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-23, 07:59 PM
These section heads do not have tails, that's the first thing that threw me off. The second thing is that even if you left click on them, they do not become visible, you just end up visiting the section that they mark. I'm considering just deleting them and rebuilding as necessary.

Scott D Davis
2004-07-23, 08:32 PM
don't click the section head, right-click the line that defines the section.

bclarch
2004-07-23, 08:39 PM
I know that the extents of scope boxes can determine whether or not datums (grid lines, levels, etc.) are visible. I can't offer any more detail than that since I don't use scope boxes extensively. You might want to check the help files regarding scope boxes to see if that might be what's going on.

Prodev75
2004-07-23, 09:00 PM
I've found it usually doesn't work to immediately right-click when hovering over a hidden annotation...so I always left-click it first to highlight it, then right-click in a blank area of the drawing. This always works for me. (same thing for 'hiding' an annotation)

Which brings me to one of my wishlist items. Wouldn't it be great to be able to select MULTIPLE annotations and then "hide" or "show" them...instead of one......at......a......time.......?

I think we might be on to something here.
How about a button that shows all annotation that is hidden in a particular view. This can be toggled on and off. It could give the user and idea of what is there. What do you guys think?

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-23, 09:30 PM
don't click the section head, right-click the line that defines the section.

Scott--that's exactly the deal: there is NO line that defines the section.

I think I'm going to look into the scope box deal...maybe that's what's going on here.

Scott D Davis
2004-07-23, 09:32 PM
Oh! its just a section head floating by itself? I wonder if the extension line got pulled into the section head?

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-23, 10:38 PM
Maybe that's what happened. It is the strangest thing though, I can mouse-over them, but I can't get to their properties or anything like that, and again, there is no option to "show annotation" because the section heads have no tails--unless they are round elevation bugs...regardless, it really has me stumped.

Damo
2004-07-23, 10:42 PM
If not the Scope Box, have a look at the Crop Region in VP. If the Crop Region is off put it on. Is the section head right beside the Crop Region? If so, enlarge the Crop Region. The reason for this is, once you select the Section head there is a blue circular arrow that appears (‘Cycle Section Head’). This cycles through Section Head –> Section Tail -> and none (neither Head or Tail). If you cycle through these options you might find that the other end of the line appears indicating that the section line is really short and pulled in on itself, as Scott mentioned.

Another option to try.
Place your cursor over the section head (don’t click)
Hit the TAB key, (Should select every part of the section, Head, Line & Tail)
Right click.
Does the ‘Show annotation in view’ now appear on the shortcut menu?

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-23, 10:55 PM
Okay, I've attached a jpg of what I see when i mouse-over.
I've tried tab, right click, left click, I checked visibility--it's like these guys (which are all over the drawing) are not being recognized as sections even though if you click on them (which sends you to the view) they ARE sections.

Scott D Davis
2004-07-23, 11:02 PM
When you hoover the cursor over this section head, what does the status bar at the bottom of the Revit window say? I wonder if you can see what section family this is, and then go to the project browser to Families/Annotation Symbols/Sections heads, and do a right-click/Select all on the offending family, then globally replace it with a section symbol that works.

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-23, 11:26 PM
When I hover over the offending invisible section the status bar says:
"Display the view defined by this section"
That's it...no word as to what family type is used...

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-23, 11:47 PM
I think I sort of solved my own problem--didn't explain it, but solved it for now. If I go to the section view and choose "duplicate with detailing" and then delete the invisible one, then the duplicated copy shows up as a full out section that is hidden in view...anybody care to explain what's going on with that additional knowledge?

Scott D Davis
2004-07-23, 11:54 PM
Wierd! This sounds like one for Revit Support to take a look at.

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-24, 12:14 AM
Yah, don't get me started on this particular model...it needs psychological counselling. :)