PDA

View Full Version : Schedule Key

BomberAIA
2004-07-23, 06:33 PM
Why can't a Room Style Schedule be put on a sheet?

Tom Dorner
2004-07-23, 07:01 PM
I just placed one on a sheet just fine. It should work unless it is already on a sheet.

Tom

BomberAIA
2004-07-24, 01:11 PM
I looked in my view box and it's not there. I will look again. How does a Schedule Key differ from a Finish Schedule?

BomberAIA
2004-07-24, 01:25 PM
OK, I ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION. Schedule Keys allow you to set up keys so you don't have to enter the same info in schedules over and over again. For example, if you had 100 rooms with the same floor material, you would set up a Key it becomes part of the instance properties of the element.

m_cahoon14336
2004-07-24, 04:13 PM
Reading your post prompted me to learn about room styles as well. I put several room tags into a floor plan. Room Style is listed under the parameters, but the value is listed as "none", and it will not allow me to change it. What am I doing wrong?

Tom Dorner
2004-07-24, 04:34 PM
Schedule keys are basicaly look-up tables if you are familiar with database concepts. In other words a "key" in one table relates to information stored in another table based on the equality of the "key"

When you first define a key schedule, it contains no information. You have to add new rows so the "room style" in the room properties box has something to go out and look up against.

There was another thread where we covered some of the scheduke key ideas a few months ago:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=4161

This topic is where Revit starts to show its database roots and those that master the database concepts in Revit will start to pull ahead of the rest of the pack.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Steve_Stafford
2004-07-24, 04:42 PM
Create a schedule (call it Room Finish Schedule)
Add three fields Number,Name,Area (keep it simple for now)

Create a shedule key (call Room Style)
By default Revit puts field name Key Name in
Add four fields Base, Ceiling, Wall and Floor Finish
Add a new data row, for Keyname enter F1 for the others enter appropriate values
Add a couple more

Open the room schedule
Edit properties
Choose fields (we're looking for Room Style)
Add Room Style
Also add the same four fields Base, Ceiling, Wall and Floor Finish
Close properties

Where you see the column heading Keyname, choose one of the entries you'll find there
Notice the other four fields fill in automatically
Now you can group the four finish fields under a heading
When you're ready to put the schedule on the sheet, hide the Room Style schedule Key column

See the attached images... I show a couple ways to format the finishes columns in the second

BomberAIA
2004-07-24, 06:00 PM
great example. I need to go through it again on my project. Thanks for the help.

m_cahoon14336
2004-07-24, 07:59 PM
OK Steve, I've been working with this a little more. It seams that room names are locked in with keynames. What if I have a building with 20 different room names, but only 6 different room finish groups (keynames). Lets say room name OFFICE, room name CONFERENCE and room name LOUNGE have the same exact room finishes. Even thou they have the same exact room finishes, do I have to give them different keynames? Can keyname F1 work for several different room names?

Steve_Stafford
2004-07-24, 08:40 PM
yahshooeryoobetcha...

The key schedule is intended to save effort with data entry. So you can use the same key schedule type for any or all rooms.

In your example, your 20 rooms will each have one of your six types assigned to it.

jbalding48677
2004-07-24, 08:48 PM
One of the most common uses of Key Scheduling is in room finishes, but this concept can be applied in many different ways. For your room finishes in a office building, for example, you might have Exec Office, Junior Office, Admin, Public Corridors, Back of House etc. Now, you have all touched on the ways this helps in populating the finishes in the different keys, but the REAL advantage is when a finish changes from VCT to Concrete and the schedule key is pointed to 200 times!!! That is "Revit Magic"...

m_cahoon14336
2004-07-24, 09:53 PM
I'VE GOT IT! I'VE FIGURED IT OUT! I KNOW HOW THIS SCHEDULE KEY THING WORKS NOW! I'M COOL TOO! MY REGRETS TO ALL CONCERNED FOR MY LACK OF UNDERSTANDING ON THIS FEATURE. LET'S MOVE ON. WHATS NEXT?

P.S. Are there any Parrot Heads out there? Radio Margaritaville is where it's at.
What if the hokie pokie is really what it's all about?

BillyGrey
2004-07-24, 10:23 PM
P.S. Are there any Parrot Heads out there? Radio Margaritaville is where it's at.
What if the hokie pokie is really what it's all about?

I'm designing a home for a hard core buffeteer right now....The architecture is being designed AROUND his parrot lifestyle...seriously...It's really cool and insane all at the same time. it's a forward looking/looking backward home. of course, he just got divorced...some people claim......he wears hawiian shirts allot, has a masters degree, and is a loon

There is a single slab of rock in the front room at 42" above ff with a plug next to it. He tells me that's where the papaya margarita's are going to happen (the first thing he ever asked me after the intitial design chatter was "Do you like margaritas?".

"why of course...."

it was a long session