PDA

View Full Version : What and where is the CTB file?

sfickettj
2004-07-25, 04:47 AM
I am a beginning user and awhile back I asked a question about sending files to someone with 2004 lite. When they tried to plot, some lines were screened.To rid the plots of this problem, the reponse was to "send the CTB file". Could someone explain how this is done? When I chose a template, I chose the stb, did I choose incorrectly? A printer suggested I convert the drawing to a CTB file. Is that the answer, and how would I do that? Thanks in advance.

mjfarrell
2004-07-25, 04:59 AM
I am a beginning user and awhile back I asked a question about sending files to someone with 2004 lite. When they tried to plot, some lines were screened.To rid the plots of this problem, the reponse was to "send the CTB file". Could someone explain how this is done? When I chose a template, I chose the stb, did I choose incorrectly? A printer suggested I convert the drawing to a CTB file. Is that the answer, and how would I do that? Thanks in advance.

If you perform an E-Transmit of that file the resultant ZIP file will automatically contain
the CTB that you used to plot that file for that user to use.
As your drawing is using named plot styles STB, then this will be included not a CTB.
Not knowing what version you are using I suggest the easiest method to find your
CTB and STB files is to do a search for those file types (*.STB) as they are in different
folders depending on what version you have installed.

If you really didn't want to use STB for your pen control while plotting then you will
need to perform a CONVERTCTB and choose a proper CTB when the dialogue box
appears.

sfickettj
2004-07-25, 05:11 AM
Thanks. I am still using 2004. You write that the STB and CTB are in different folders. Where are these folders to be found? Why would one choose an STB or a CTB? I thought the stb was a plottable sheet format. If I convert the dwgs to CTB, how will I know which is the proper CTB to choose?

mjfarrell
2004-07-25, 05:18 AM
Please use your search function to find the location of your plot styles.
Both STB and CTB file types are in the same folder.
If you use Etransmit, it will know which file you used to do your plotting.

sfickettj
2004-07-25, 01:15 PM
Thanks I think I'm getting closer. I started the Convertctb command and found 20 different plot styles! Wow!
How do I evaluate which should be the one to use? Which is the most widely used?acad? aia color lwt by object?etc
I am using Desktop 2004 and the person I send to uses acad 2004 lite.

tsigler
2004-07-26, 12:08 PM
The CTB file allows you to assign a line weight to a color, e.g., red lines might be heavier (thicker) than yellow lines. Therefore you might assign a .028" thickness to all red lines and a .006" thickness to the yellow ones. This is similar to hand drafting where your object lines will be heavier than your dimension line for example. Most people create a CTB based on their office standards by taking one of the ones provided by Autodesk and editing the "lineweight" by assigning their own value. They then do a "saveas" and rename the altered file to something that has meaning to them. This file becomes the CTB that they will use.

My company is a CAD service bureau and we have different CTB's for just about every client we have as well as our own in-house CTB. You can set up as many as you feel you need based on the type of work you do.

Hope this helps!

Chuckyd67
2004-07-27, 12:42 PM
Would it not be more efficient to utilize the National CAD Standards for color tables?

tsigler
2004-07-28, 07:56 PM
It migfht be more efficient if you were starting from scratch. But most of my clients have been using their own standards for 10 or 15 years, You run into a lot of resistance when it comes to changing something that people are happy and comfortable with. I know that I'd not want to change my standards at this point. I've been using mine with very little altertation since 1984.

sfickettj
2004-07-30, 05:51 PM
I tried to convert to ctb but it returns to stb. I panic when I think I may have to start over. Is there a way to convert an stb to a ctb or tough luck for me? I would like to use a standard that is accessible to others and for easy plotting. ? I am definitely swimming in the deep end as a new user.

mjfarrell
2004-07-30, 05:54 PM
Try this one instead:
Converting a named plot-style table (STB file) to a color dependant plot-style (CTB file)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2879162&linkID=2475323

Chuckyd67
2004-08-02, 11:29 AM
It migfht be more efficient if you were starting from scratch. But most of my clients have been using their own standards for 10 or 15 years, You run into a lot of resistance when it comes to changing something that people are happy and comfortable with. I know that I'd not want to change my standards at this point. I've been using mine with very little altertation since 1984.

I don't know of anyone who is starting from scratch with color tables. I do know plenty of firms that struggle with non-standard problems. The problem is not the change, but the continued use of inefficient methods. Autodesk has researched and committed to the NCS for its layer keystyles. These are coordinated with the apparent widths of colors on the screen. For example, color 50 appears on the screen to be a heavier lineweight color than color 10, and the color tables reflect this. If you were to conform to the National CAD Standard, then you would not have 15 or 20 different color tables with which to contend. All federal work now requires NCS compliance, and many state and local agencies are following suit. It is just a matter of time before the NCS is actually a national standard.