PDA

View Full Version : Wall Assembly!

hatamm
2007-05-29, 03:51 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to create a cavity wall type that will have concrete block for the footing, and brick on top. I know that we can do this using the stack wall, but I don't like stack wall so I I'm trying to do is to use the split region command to split a regular wall into different layers.

So my question is; is it possible to set different thickness for different layer? I guess it would be easier to understand if you take a look at the attached picture. Is it possible to delete the red portion in the picture?

Thanks in advance!

aaronrumple
2007-05-29, 04:33 PM
No. The exterior and interior of any standard wall must be a continuous plane. the only way you can remove the red area is to incorporate a reveal into the wall. That's a lot of overhead for what you are trying to do.

You can have different thicknesses in materials, but this happens for dividing lines inside the wall - not at the face.

sbrown
2007-05-29, 05:22 PM
You can actually make variable thicknesses by combinding the split region and a reveal or sweep.

hatamm
2007-05-29, 06:23 PM
Thanks all for the fast response.

But sbrown, would you please explain how to do that? Did you mean using the Merge Regions command to combind the with the wall reveal?

Thanks!

sbrown
2007-05-29, 06:39 PM
For example if you want a masonry soldier course that is set in 1" from the face. Lets say its 3 courses high. You would create a wall, edit the structure to split the masonry veneer, then assign the soldier course material to the region. then add a reveal the size and elevation you want the recessed soldier.

sbrown
2007-05-29, 06:43 PM
Here is an example file.

hatamm
2007-05-29, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the sample file,

I think I know what you're talking about. But what I'm trying to do is more like in the attached picture, the wall type in the picture is the stacked wall that come with revit. So what I'm trying to do is more like customize a regular wall to act like a stacked wall, and the reason why I want to customize my own wall is because I don't like to work with revit default stacked wall, it's too problematic.

sbrown
2007-05-29, 08:07 PM
So in your example, why wouldn't you just add a cmu wall sweep?

hatamm
2007-05-29, 09:11 PM
Well... in my example is a picture of a stacked wall style that come with revit, and I don't like use revit stacked wall.

sbrown
2007-05-29, 09:36 PM
I understand, you don't need a stacked wall to acheive the image in the post. Just create a sweep the size you want your cmu base and have it inset so it hides the masonry (main wall definition)

hatamm
2007-05-30, 04:28 PM
I know that too. But like Aaron said, that will not be too practical because I would need a lot of different profile for different wall thickness and high.

sbrown
2007-05-30, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure what the issue is with stacked walls. You can break them up if you have a problem in certain spots but most of the model should be fine with them.

If you are really trying to say you want the ability to adjust the width of split regions within the wall style, thats a great request. I think I submitted in the past, so it would be great to get others to submit that request. I'd like to see it go so far the finishes can be separated from the host wall. Even better would be to be able to edit the profile of the split faces right from the wall editor.

cphubb
2007-05-30, 08:05 PM
Use a curtain wall as the "wrapper" instead of a stacked wall. Assign the lower panel the walltype with the cmu and the upper with the brick. Use the join tool as necessary to clean up the joint

hatamm
2007-05-30, 11:18 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I want Scott; "the ability to adjust the width of split regions within the wall style". The reason why I don't like to use stacked wall is that you have to setup each wall segment as a different wall, and that is a pain when we need to edit them, not to mention it could lead to all kind of wall clean up problem when we use it with "unique" exterior design. Plus... if we use it in a project with workset, and some body accidentally do a "Break Up" command and save it... it going to me a mess.

Chris, your wall is one way to do it, but it's still not what I'm looking for. But thanks anyway.

Justin Marchiel
2007-05-31, 05:05 PM
I cases likes this i have just made different walls and locked them to reference planes. This allows me to put what ever wall types togheter without the stacked wall problem. if you have a door you can host the door in 1 wall and then join adjacent walls together.

Justin