PDA

View Full Version : Linked text files for notes common to several sheets?

andrew.139822
2007-05-29, 09:05 PM
Doing our first project with Revit, so a basic newbie technique question:

We want to have a list of general sheet notes that apply to several sheets in a set, and will in fact be common to several other buildings on the site. Each building has a separate drawing set and therefore Revit project file. We'd like to create the general notes once and have it referenced into all the several project files. We'd like this to be a dynamic link, so that if we edit the original general notes files, the updated notes will appear in each Revit project the next time it is opened.

Is this possible? Haven't found it on our own yet.

Thanks,

Andrew

sbrown
2007-05-29, 09:37 PM
I use a generic annotation family for this or now in 2008 I'd recommend a link/group/bind scenario.

andrew.139822
2007-05-29, 09:41 PM
We are using 2008, but you'll need be be more specific about the link/group/bind process. We're still wet behind the ears here.

Thanks,

Andrew

aggockel50321
2007-05-30, 11:54 AM
One method:

Group your text notes, as Scott suggested, and then "Save to Library" the group.

In RAC 2008, it becomes it's own .rvt project file.

In your project, then "Load from Library" your new group file.

Under the drafting tab, use the "Detail Group" command to place in a view, the group file you loaded.

Keep in mind that if you plan to place your group on a sheet, create it on a sheet, and if you plan to place it in a view, create it in a view.

Then, you can open the group, edit the text, and save. And once back in the project, reload the group (Load from Library) to update it in the project...

andrew.139822
2007-05-30, 07:41 PM
Any way to make the link to the group dynamic, that is, make it update automatically when you open the project? Having to manually reload the group just opens the door for someone to forget that step before sending out to a client.

Our 2008 help says that you can convert a group to a linked project and visa-versa. It says to highlight the group and then there will be a link button the Options bar. I see no such button. Is this a bug? Does the group-to-link thing only work for model groups?

Andrew

sbrown
2007-05-31, 01:19 AM
If its a link it will update automatically.

truevis
2007-05-31, 01:39 AM
You may put Text notes in a Legend and place on multiple sheets.

aaronrumple
2007-05-31, 02:18 PM
You may put Text notes in a Legend and place on multiple sheets.
Legends are the way to go. This gives you the flexibility to use both Revit text and linked AutoCAD text without fussing with a lot of group editing.

mmaxwell
2007-06-22, 03:24 PM
One method:

Group your text notes, as Scott suggested, and then "Save to Library" the group.

In RAC 2008, it becomes it's own .rvt project file.

In your project, then "Load from Library" your new group file.

Under the drafting tab, use the "Detail Group" command to place in a view, the group file you loaded.

Keep in mind that if you plan to place your group on a sheet, create it on a sheet, and if you plan to place it in a view, create it in a view.

Then, you can open the group, edit the text, and save. And once back in the project, reload the group (Load from Library) to update it in the project...

When I make text a group, I do not get the "Link" button on the option bar. I think I am missing something here on how to convert text to a linked file. Can someone shed some light.

chodosh
2007-06-22, 06:40 PM
You are unfortunately correct, you do not get the Link function with a Group made of only Text objects, e.g. a Detail Group. Detail Groups (Lines/Text) are not the same as Model Groups. You can attach a Detail Group to a Model Group and they will move together, but you cannot edit them together. However, once attached this will allow you to use the Link function on your Text so long as it is associated with some Model object like a Reference Plane. I would suggest using a Legend instead for the same reasons Aaron mentioned, but mostly it would be a lot less fuss.
Happy Friday,
LC