PDA

View Full Version : Editable Stair, Ramp, and Porch Assembly

mattgreen
2007-05-30, 02:04 PM
I am trying to create a standard exterior ramp, stair, and porch assembly that can be easily modified for use in multiple projects. My idea is to create a family with parameters that I can modify depending on the particular project (ie. height from ground level to first floor) that will automatically update the stair and ramp assembly.

First off, is this possible in Revit? Can I create a family, create stairs, a ramp and porch, and make them all editable through parameters? The company at which I work has a standard stair/ramp/porch construction that only varies depending on the height it has to span.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Matt

Steve_Stafford
2007-05-30, 03:42 PM
I'm sure you can but Revit won't know it is a stair, ramp and porch because those categories aren't available as a component family. You'd have to use Generic Model and assign subcategories to each element so you could have individual control over various parts of the assembly.

You might consider using groups and the built in tools (floor, roof, ramp, stair, railing) to define different configurations and group them. You'd need to switch between groups to display them for different versions of your products. With Revit's API it is possible to automate this but you'll need a savy programmer to pull it off.

sbrown
2007-05-30, 03:50 PM
In 2008 I'm thinking about creating a number of project files with typical assemblies like stair towers, elevator towers, etc that can be linked then binded as groups into projects.

aaronrumple
2007-05-30, 03:55 PM
Yes, but you are probably much better off building it as a group of objects. Just associate everything with a correct level and top constraint. Then when you move it into a new project - there will just be a few adjustments.