PDA

View Full Version : hypotenuse of a right triangle

PEWAUKEEJOHN
2007-05-30, 02:32 PM
Can anyone provide me with an example of a formula which would return the hypotenuse of a right triangle? For example, with the adjacent leg and the opposite leg both being 24", how can I get revit to return the hypotenuse? What syntax for a trigometric formula would I use? Could the pythagorium theorem be used, and if so what would be the syntax? I have not had any luck using the "exponentiation" feature, what would its syntax be to get a return value? Thanks in advance.

aaronrumple
2007-05-30, 02:52 PM
Revit supports tan, cos, sin, asin, acos, and atan. So returning the values you are after is straightforward trig.

sqrt(x^2 + y^2) is I think what you are loking for just off the top of my head.

archjake
2007-05-30, 02:53 PM
How is this being applied? Are you creating a family that needs this?

rjcrowther
2007-05-30, 03:04 PM
I tend to sympathise with you in trying to get the correct syntax and application for formulas in Revit.

It would be nice if the user manual was expanded by a page or 20 on this topic. Perhaps next year.

Rob

iru69
2007-05-30, 03:42 PM
I've attached some "families" that I use as a reference for computing such formulas that maybe someone will find useful.

I think my original intention was to make them parametric so that I could test out what the results would be, but I don't think I ever got around to that part.

I'm no math wiz, so please let me know if you spot any errors.

I hope that helps.

MikeJarosz
2007-05-30, 07:01 PM
Revit supports tan, cos, sin, asin, acos, and atan. So returning the values you are after is straightforward trig.

sqrt(x^2 + y^2) is I think what you are loking for just off the top of my head.
It's actually sqrt((Dx)^2 + (Dy)^2) where Dx and Dy is the difference in x and the difference in y.

In 3D it would be:

sqrt((Dx)^2 + (Dy)^2) + (Dz)^2) where Dz is the z difference.

I used these a lot on the World Trade Center test bore locations. Works very well in Excel. We knew the columns were 40 feet on center, but the site wasn't true north. What site ever is? I could verify my coords with these formulas, and every bore was right on the nose. If you've seen the WTC site, every one of the slurry wall tiebacks is a known location. What a job verifying all of those was!!

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-05-30, 07:16 PM
every one of the slurry wall tiebacks is a known location. What a job verifying all of those was!!
Where can I get an exciting job like yours Mike? ;)
There is drudgery in a portion of most things we do. Fortunately Revit can simplify some of it, or at least make the record keeping easier.