PDA

View Full Version : Extrude command

oahu.yahoo
2004-07-26, 09:03 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to use the extrude command. Do I have to be drawing in a 3d environment in order for this command to work? I drew an ellipse, then the path but autocad will not extrude this drawing into a wireframe tube.
Thanks Jeff

Mike.Perry
2004-07-26, 12:50 PM
Hi

._Extrude is used for the creation of 3D Solids.

If you require a WireFrame take a look at the command ._TabSurf

Have a good one, Mike

diev
2004-07-27, 01:47 PM
Type Extrude, pick your ellipse, hit enter, type "P" for Path (then enter), select your path (that is not on the same UCS) and wha-la....
Diev.

treb
2004-07-29, 11:55 PM
a true ellise wont extrude, oahu, would have to set the sysvar for polyline ellipses

Mike.Perry
2004-07-30, 07:12 AM
Hi

Sorry, I'm going to disagree with that statement, a true Ellipse Object can be Extruded (that's the case for AutoCAD 2002 anyway), please refer to attached drawing files.

Have a good one, Mike

rstibolt882029
2004-08-01, 02:38 PM
I also am using the EXTRUDE command and am trying to extrude a polyline (a section drawing of a stair handrail) along a 3d path (a path that curves both in plan and in elevation) to draw the handrail for a stair with winders. I have been using as a path a 3d polyline, a spline and a spline made from a 3d polyline. I am able to get the polyline to follow a 3d polyline but the horizontal line portion of the profile (which describes the flattened surface of the underside of the handrail) does not remain parallel to the ground plane as it follows the path. Also when looking in plan view at the path and at the resulting 3d drawing the 3d drawing is not centered on the path. I think this result is a limitation of spline and 3d polyline objects and of the underlying geometry on which they are based.

If autocad cannot do this is there software that can extrude a profile in 3 dimensions without rotating the profile (sort of a 3d ortho function)? How do other people draw accurate solid model handrails or even 2d handrails?

richardtt33978
2004-08-14, 01:34 PM
Regarding the handrail of the stair....
Try breaking up the 3Dpoly ... when they actually make stair handrails, a carpenter does this is parts and assembles in the field ... try that approach in your modeling ...

Sorry in advance if that doesn't work. :neutral:
R.

wtippens
2004-08-28, 12:52 PM
Hi,

We had to purchase Autocad Mechanical to accomplish the ramp and twist of the stair rail problem. We have also used this AM to draw arches on to radii, one in plan and one in elevation. That is the only solution that we have found in approximately 15 years of searching.

WT

mjfarrell
2004-08-28, 01:11 PM
Both, VIZ and MAX will extrude a complex shape
such as described. Only in those applications they
call it LOFTING and it a wonderfulll tool.
Although being modeling tools, they lack the ability
to dimension so that would need to be done in a
CAD application that could import the mesh that they
create to get shop drawings.

jaberwok
2004-08-28, 07:49 PM
but you can create the initial geometry in acad to get dimensional accuracy in the 3DS mesh.

John B