PDA

View Full Version : Bar Section

mockdeep
2007-05-31, 08:23 PM
We do a lot of restaurants in my firm and I was curious to see what people think would be the best way to build a bar in Revit. I have attached a plan and sections for the bar in one of our projects. I can see the round portion just being a family since that doesn't vary, but the length of the straight portions changes from project to project, so that I'm not so sure. Can I create a family that is freely adjustable and that would wrap around the corners? Or is there a way to create the bar section as a wall type? Also, is it possible to set it up so that when I put a section through the bar it appears to this level of detail?

greg.mcdowell
2007-05-31, 09:01 PM
I think your best bet is to use an in-place family (though it could be just a normal external family too) that defines the entire bar using a series of sweeps and profiles. If you build it as an external family you can add the additional detail for sections and the like though I don't believe it's a strait forward process.

SCShell
2007-06-01, 02:28 PM
Hey there,

Because of the complexity of this, I would do a "typical" one in a new project called "Bar" maybe. Then, I would model the whole thing with a lot of in place families built with extrusions for all of the detail type items, including bull nosing, counters, foot rail, etc.
Then, I would just save this project out and use it only to copy and paste from when I work on the actual projects that use it..
I have done this with certain Reception Counters, stairs and other things that I use a lot. It takes modification for each project; however, it is easy to stretch extrusions and modify paths.

Just food for thought.
Good Luck
Steve

sbrown
2007-06-01, 05:48 PM
I like to build it using walls and sweeps. You can almost create a wall style that is a bar by adding all the counter tops and trims as sweeps, then create generic models(wall based for any paneling. so in 2008 you could make a project out of this bar that you link in and bind.

twiceroadsfool
2007-06-01, 06:10 PM
I would either use Scotts approach of a complex wall type with the top (and possibly some of the components) being built in to the wall type, or id make the entire thing as an outside family.

The nice thing about the Family is you can nest the bar stools in, and have it array them as necessary for proper seating count, and detail it in tha family, etc...